96 7.3l turbo powerstroke not starting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 7.3l turbo powerstroke not starting

Truck is a 96 7.3l Turbo DI PS with about 280k miles on it. I drove the truck home with no problems. The next day it would not crank. The wait to start light would not come on and the rpm would not register. I changed the cam sensor (didn't help). Fuse #22 (PCM and fuel bowl heater) was bad and I replaced it. Now the wait to start light comes on and the tach registers while cranking. But it still will not start. Can anyone give me some clues as to what to check next. I am not a mechanic, so make your answers simple. I can work on it if I know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you fix the heater? That is probably what caused the fuse to blow, if you haven't fised it is the fuse ok? If no lights were on and the engine didn't crank sounds like battery/cable connection issues. I have a 95 and the fuse went, I thought it still cranked over, but that was a long time ago. Maybe somebody else can help with that. I would probably check for fuel first. Is there any smoke at the exhaust? Is there fuel at the shrader valve at filter housing? if not is there any in the filter housing? then there is a supply issue. If there is fuel it still could be the IPR(injector pressure regulator) for some reason not allowing fuel to the engine. There is the ICP sensor(Injector control pressure) that could possibly be the culprit, to eliminate unlug it (it is fairly easy to get at (drivers side of engine, just ahead of fuel filter housing approx 8" towards the drivers side of the engine). by unplugging that it allows the pcm to tell IPR to give oil pressure to start the truck. Fuel gauge and or HPOP oil pressure guage could help diagnose and probably cheaper than just replacing parts.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks faeteddy88,
My problem turned out to be the fuel pump. Not a cheap fix.

BigDf250
Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Glad that you got it fixed up. One thing I learned- nothing is cheap on these engines to fix. The ICP sensor (looks like an oil pressure sensor) which is basically what it does and send message to PCM at my Ford dealer at fleet price $270. That was more than the fuel pump and 1/4 of the size of that. I take it when yoou said it wouldn't crank that it just wasn't firing when cranking over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.