Needs someone who speaks truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 03:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Needs someone who speaks truck

So I took my truck in because I wanted to know why my front end was sagging. I need new tires and before I buy some I wanted my front end to be corrected so that they won't wear uneven.

What I received back was a quote for a complete front end rebuild totaling just under $2k! I was kind of blown away, but they said that "this is common Ford front end rebuild".

I am having a really really tough time understanding this when the truck as 113k miles on it even though it's a '95. So here is my questions:

What of these things do I need to get done to correct my squatting on the front end? (Besides the rearching)

Are all of these critical things that I should get dome asap?

I should also note that the truck leaks no fluid at all, it makes no sounds when turning (even when cranked all the way) and rides great.

Thank you all for your help in figuring this out!

Truck Quote.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Umm re arching leaf springs don't seem right!
Old 02-24-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentstdi View Post
Umm re arching leaf springs don't seem right!
Right, well I decided that I am not going to do that anyway since it seems like it doesn't do much/last very long. But the rest of the stuff I figured something in there might help with it.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:24 PM

Do you have any steering issues? Like a loose steering wheel. I could see an alignment but not every tierod and the whole steering box.. If it is loose have somebody turn the wheel for you just a little bit back and forth and see what moves before the tires move. If there is slop it needs replaced.

Unless that was a worst case price quote for everything needing replaced

Last edited by rentstdi; 02-24-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Do you have any steering issues? Like a loose steering wheel. I could see an alignment but not every tierod and the whole steering box.. If it is loose have somebody turn the wheel for you just a little bit back and forth and see what moves before the tires move. If there is slop it needs replaced.
Ok yeah there is some play in the steering wheel before it responds, but not terrible. I just thought that was normal with an older truck. So what needs to be replaced if there is play in it? The tie rods and the steering box?
Old 02-24-2013, 04:42 PM

I would some turns the wheel for me and see what is loose. Watch the input shaft turn on the steering box and then watch for any dead space in movement on the output side of the box. It should be pretty tight ( no dead space). Same thing goes for the tie rods, watch the input side of things and watch the output side. There should be no slop, none.

Hope it helps
Old 02-24-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I would some turns the wheel for me and see what is loose. Watch the input shaft turn on the steering box and then watch for any dead space in movement on the output side of the box. It should be pretty tight ( no dead space). Same thing goes for the tie rods, watch the input side of things and watch the output side. There should be no slop, none.

Hope it helps
Ok I will give that a try, I am no mechanic though so it will take me awhile to find these parts. But thank you very much.

What about the rest of these? Are any of these things something that would help with my squatting problem?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:58 PM

I can't tell you what to get done right away (mine does the same thing). Welcome to the world of the Twin Traction Beam (Dana 50) front end. Why they didn't use coil springs instead of the leaf springs is beyond me! Leaf springs are not intended to twist as they do (slightly) in this design (dumb, dumb, dumb). Add a 1000+ pound motor on top of it and you are seeing the results. There have been a few folks that have rebuilt the front end, but its not cheap (as you have found out) and it is time consuming. Many folks opt to swap in the straight-axle Dana 60 front end out of the F350. Cheers!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
I can't tell you what to get done right away (mine does the same thing). Welcome to the world of the Twin Traction Beam (Dana 50) front end. Why they didn't use coil springs instead of the leaf springs is beyond me! Leaf springs are not intended to twist as they do (slightly) in this design (dumb, dumb, dumb). Add a 1000+ pound motor on top of it and you are seeing the results. There have been a few folks that have rebuilt the front end, but its not cheap (as you have found out) and it is time consuming. Many folks opt to swap in the straight-axle Dana 60 front end out of the F350. Cheers!
Yes this would be the best option, but having a tough time finding a wrecked 350... That sounds like that is the way to go though. Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.