Random Dead Batteries - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Random Dead Batteries

I have a 1996 F350 that can sit for 2 months go out and fires right up in 20 degree weather without needing to be plugged in. Then 2 days later i need to move it to do something and the batteries are so dead that the dome light wont even come on. It's got a Ts chip, glow shift gauges, and a aftermarket radio. I thought it was the radio when it did it 4 months back because I took the face plate off. It hasn't done it before then and not till this last week. It does have the factory security system that is supposed to Kill all electrical load after 40mins. The radio and gauges are the only things that I can think of that have a constant on. Its driving me crazy because there brand new batteries and Alternator.

If anyone could steer me in the right direction of things that can randomly run your battery dead that would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 04:57 PM

Have you tried pulling the cables and using your ammeter to see what, if any draw is there with all of the doors closed, key off, lights off, etc?
Old 02-24-2013, 05:33 PM

Mine was the dome light staying on after shutting the door, and the glovebox light switch becoming loose. Just my $.02
Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 AM

I cant seem to find it because its random, and it's a big draw. Not a whole lot of things can run it flat dead over night. Thats 200amp hours approximately. Dead in 24 hours. Thats about 8amps. Way more than my lights. Plus I have the factory security system that shuts everything down after 40mins. I have left the doors open before, and the lights turned of after a while.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:20 PM

Apparently it's something that the system shutdown doesn't have control of. Which circuits are those? Glow plug relay getting stuck? Fuel pump? Obviously a high draw taking down those big batteries.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulstroker View Post
Apparently it's something that the system shutdown doesn't have control of. Which circuits are those? Glow plug relay getting stuck? Fuel pump? Obviously a high draw taking down those big batteries.
It doesn't have a electronic fuel pump. The only thing I can think of is ether my ignition (which needs rebuilt) Or my Radio. Maybe Ill order a radio and take it to my locksmith, of course it always could be my factory security system. How many amps would it draw if for some reason the ignition were turned to the ACC position. Because I don't see any lights at night. Of course I didn't look that hard ether. What about a Brake controller. I completely forgot about that thing. I know that the trailer backup fuse is MELTED down. Never have seen that happen. I also know that there is a 30amp fuse for trailer batteries. Maybe ice getting in the 7 plug RV connector? I always wash my truck when I come home, could have sprayed some water on it.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:12 PM

My brake controller went stupid, seemingly overnight. Ended up working similar to flashers, blinking on the brake lights, etc. Took a couple of days but it did drain the batteries. What makes you believe the ignition needs to be rebuilt? Do you have the stock radio or aftermarket plus big amps to drive speakers? Those amps really can suck some juice, especially the bigger ones.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:15 PM

Aftermarket radio, no amps or big subs. I can use any ford key in my ignition, and pull it out in any position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.