96 f350, manual tranny wont start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 f350, manual tranny wont start

K guys, new to the forum... Have a 96 f350 with 250k miles and I can't get it back on. Truck was driving fine, hit a bump and it lost all its engine power and cel came on. Truck stayed on but just felt really weak, when I got home it didn't want to shut off, so I popped the clutch in gear and turned off. You could see very dim that the cel was still on. The alarm didn't want to work either. Came back the next day and it wouldn't turn on but cel was gone and alarm worked.

So this is the list of stuff I've done:
Changed cps, changed ipr, changed hpop, changed harness to ipr, changed icp, changed idm, changed injector rings, changed pcm, by the way pcm had a chip, removed that too and truck still won't turn on. Tired of wasting money and I'm now thinking its the alarm, my question is does the alarm control the power to the ipr? For some reason can't get oil to injectors, cranks perfect and for a long time but no start. Any help is greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance. Oh it's throwing a back pressure sensor code, that's the only code...

Last edited by 00maro; 02-16-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

96 f350, manual tranny wont start

Try the fuel heater fuse? #22 or 23 location underhood fusebox. WTS light on

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-16-2013, 10:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Checked all fuses already and yes the wts light comes on, forgot to mention I change the glow plug relay and glow plugs, all motorcraft stuff...
Old 02-16-2013, 10:51 AM

Check for a broken ground between the engine block and the body. Typically near the rear of the engine like a braided steel strap. Friend had an F150 do something similar and it turned out to be that ground strap was broken...
Old 02-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

All grounds checked and all are good. My question is does the ipr valve suppose to have ground while cranking? Mine, as soon as the key is forward there's no ground to it only when the key is off. I'm leaning torwards something electrical...
Old 03-21-2013, 10:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check for fuel at the shrader valve at the filter housing. if there is it still could be IPR but unlikely since you changed that already. If not check it while cranking if still not then you are not getting fuel. I am not sure if they have a fuel shut off switch(inertia) like the fuel injected cars but something to look into possibly. I took my fuel filter out and there wa hardly any fuel in it and had to replace the fuel pump. It took forever to get it to run, lots of cranking, good charger. No codes- still can mean electrical issue just probably not a sensor that sends a signal to the computer. Battery voltage good? spinning fast?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:00 AM

What I think is weird is that it did not shut down. If its doing that that means its based on whatever commands your injectors and making them work automatically. It mechanically pump so it will keep running till the injectors stop firing. Could it be under valve cover gasket short. Was it running super rough when it was weak.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah that is wierd. Unless it is getting oil from some where. It is hard to imagine that the PCM or injectors would be getting power once the key is turned off, either there was still power to where there shouldn't be or it has another "fuel supply", oil or fuel at intake???
Old 03-22-2013, 10:09 AM

^^^^ This is known to happen when the GP relay fails internally. The "always on" terminal of the contact circuit gets crossed to the coil circuit, and the coil circuit is on the same branch as the power to the PCM. So this keeps the PCM energized at all times. If you're still getting that issue, try disconnecting the GPR, then start it up again and see if it then shuts down properly.

There's no inertia cut-off. That has nothing to do with fuel injection; our trucks are fuel-injected. It's vehicles with electric fuel pumps that need a cut-off. Our trucks have a mechanical fuel pump, so in a stall, fuel is cut off by definition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.