Oil leak in valley - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 02:27 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil leak in valley

Trying to find my oil leak in the valley. On a 200 mile trip I used about 7 quarts of oil. There is some on the turbo pedestal but the entire valley is full. When I clean up that area what other fittings should I check? I am going to pull the turbo off in a couple days and check the oil line to the turbo. Other than that, can there be an oil leak from the HPOP or anywhere else I should check. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

With that much usage (and I have first-hand experience on this one) or leakage, it should be coming from the High Pressure Oil System. I would check the High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) hoses when they exit from the pump and where they go into the top edge of the heads (just inboard of the valvecovers). Both those areas are o-ringed joints. Check the hoses too. Also check the HP Oil Rail port plugs (similar spots to where the hoses go into the heads but they just happen to correspond to the other cylinders on the engine) as they are o-ringed as well. Another spot would be the ICP sensor where it screws into the head (another one of those ports on the driver's side head front port) as that is another o-ringed joint. Of course you can try and check the IPR-to-HPOP joint and where the HPOP mounts to the reservoir along the way. Just for info mine was the HPOP to hose joint where the o-ring blew out (6 quarts in about 10 miles!).

Just out of curiosity, how's your oil usage normally between changes (without leaks)?

Part numbers:

High Pressure Oil Pump Gasket
(Ford) F4TZ-9417-A (engine serial no. 201680 & before)
(International) 1815898C3 (engine serial no. 201680 & before)
(Ford) F6TZ-9417-A (engine serial no. 201681 & up)
(International) 1825163C2 (engine serial no. 201681 & up)

High Pressure Oil Supply Fitting O-Rings
(Ford) 5C3Z-9N693-A, (International) 1823790C1 (o-ring for HPOP hose to pump joint)
(Ford) F4TZ-9N693-A, (International) 1815874C1 (o-ring for HPOP hose to head joint, unused port plugs, and ICP)

Cheers!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:43 PM

hpop orings

I found these.
DieselOrings: 7 O-ring HPOP kit to reseal the 2 discharge hose fittings and rear plug that frequently leaks on the Ford 7.3 L Diesel engines

I bought the truck 4 months ago Patrick and only a little over 1k miles that I have put on it. It leaks way more when it warms up than when cold. The truck has 301k miles on it so I am just going to buy all the orings and replace them all.

Should I go with International orings or are the ones from that site just as good?

If you could provide the links to all of the orings (hpop, lines, Turbo) I will just change them all in one day. Thanks
Old 02-15-2013, 06:45 PM

The O-rings from that site will be the same as factory. Here are some more part numbers (you are definitely ambitious ... no way I'm going to change all those O-rings in one day!):

1994 - 2003 Oil rail O-rings for the High Pressure oil rail ports in the engine valley

#8-009 HPOP Engine Mounting Gasket 96-03 - High Pressure Oil Pump - 1994-1998 Ford 7.3L

Injection Pressure Regulator Repair Kit

Ford 7.3 Diesel Turbo Pedestal O-rings - Set of 4

TP-38 Turbine Inlet Gasket

Hope that helps. Cheers!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:16 PM

One more thing

Thanks Patrick. I did notice a small leak coming from the drivers side valve cover. It is this box that is back by the cab that has two phillip head screws on top of it . Is there a gasket for this. Better yet, what is this for?

I wouldn't do it in one day if I didn't want to save the groundwater from my oil pouring out of my engine. Should I worry as much about the atmosphere since I have a straight pipe? Nah!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:05 AM

Hose tool

Do I need the little tool for the hoses? If I am reading correctly, it says it is for 99-2003. Are the hoses different for my year? Thanks.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:20 AM

You do not need the tool for the HPOP hoses on the OBS trucks (unless someone retrofitted the SD hoses with quick-connects). The Crankcase Breather O-rings are these:

4 Viton O-rings to reseal the Crank Case Vent cover

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.