Dead Reverse Lights - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 01:39 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dead Reverse Lights

Just got stuck backing up in mud last night left it in reverse got out locked in hubs and getting in i noticed the reverse lights weren't on... i put 2 halogen "long range offroad lights" from harbor freight on as extra back up lights 2-3 months ago never had a problem i thought i was out of the tunnel if they were gonna cause problems.... everything else to my knowlege is working.. i looked in the fuse box and didnt see any fuse specified for back up or reverse lights... only running lights.. the fuse box under the hood has a fuse for back up lights and it looked fine... replaced it anyways and they still dont work. i know it probably wasnt the greatest idea but the halogen lights are wired just in line with the reverse lights basically... not REALLY in line though i guess i just stripped the reverse light wire and ran a wire to the halogens with that so the regular circut for the stock lights is still intact.. heat shrink around everything i did and the plastic electrical piping around that.. any ideas? the truck starts in neutral too btw. thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 01:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Automatic transmission? It's supposed to start in neutral (it would be pretty dangerous if it didn't....).

Those halogen lights draw too much power for the reverse light switch and wiring. You should run a separate fused power wire to them, and control them via a relay triggered by the reverse lights. It's possible that you just had them on longer than any time previously, and the circuit overheated. I would check the place where you spliced in the wire for the aux lights, and also check at the switch on the tranny. I have the EVTM at home, and can tell you later which two terminals on the tranny switch connector to jump to bypass the reverse switch, and see if the lights come on; that would narrow down whether it's the switch or the wiring.

Those aux lights aren't mounted down on the hitch or something, where they might've actually gotten submerged in the mud, are they?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:27 AM

i was thinking something might have gotten muddy but i wasnt in anything deep enough.. maybe checking the switch wouldn't be a bad start now i looked at all the connections and they look fine. if u could tell me the steps on how to check that switch on the tranny thad be awesome.. ohh yes an auto. thannks!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:43 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Easiest way for me is to back up to something like a wall or garage door that will reflect the light easily. With the truck off and the wheels blocked rotate the key to run and select the reverse setting with the gear selector. Get under the truck with a wrench (think it was a 10mm) loosen the holding bolt on the switch and slowly rotate it clockwise/counterclockwise. should take much movement. watch the wall/door for the lights to come on. when/if they do tighten the holding bolt there.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:52 AM

mann oh man. got it fixed.. ended up being wet connection madpogue... i tore apart the plastic conduit and it was filled with water.. had the connection covered with heat shrink but water still musta got through it.. im doing it over again just wiring stock and i think imma run a seperate switch to the cab for the extra lights. thanks alot too BigFuel now i know how to adjust that switch if i ever need to is there a way to run the wires for the extra halogens through the fuse box and put a switch in the cab? or whats the best way to do that? i do have a fuse wired in line with the lights already..
Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM

okay now im kinda confused. is it possible i effed up the switch cause i had to keep adjusting it... it would work a few times, then i would have to adjust it again and it worked a few times before it quit so i thought maybe the switch went bad idk whats going on... i got a new switch from rock auto finally but how do i put it on???? does the little lever that connects to the column shift linkage on the tranny that is on the same shaft is that spose to just slide off after the nut is off?? idk how else it would work but if its spose to slide its stuck pretty good i just dont want to wreck anything. any help would be awesomeeee
Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Old 02-19-2013, 12:49 PM

thanks alot i'll give it a try!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.