Fuel bowl empty wont run - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 06:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel bowl empty wont run

Hey...

Truck has been frozen for weeks! After I finally got it started today (battery was dead) it started knocking/chugging etc. bad noises then died.

Won't start. Fuel bowl empty. Fuel filter right?

Is there any chance with it being 10degrees here in Ohio that the fuel in the line is gel'd? If so what's the trick? Diesel 911? Any help ASAP much appreciated, suppossed to go out of town to move furniture... Thanks as always guys! What should I do.

Any have R&R fuel pump/lifter?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 06:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not sure if I can speak to the chugging and knocking as I have not had fuel gel to my knowledge... What does the fuel filter look like? I know everyone on here says replaced it if they gel for good measure.. I personally cannot get my truck to start either after I just replaced the fuel pump last night. I have heard the diesel 911 stuff is good but I have not personally ever used it. It is not a tough job to replace the fuel pump but I wish it would start.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Fuel bowl empty wont run

Oh man we are in same boat. I'm kinda a newbie. Had her for years but never done anything to her.

Fuel filter has couple hundred miles on it. The bowl is only 1/4 full.

I guess I'm gonna consider changing fuel pump. Was it easy? How long take? And it still won't start!? Sucks. Ill let you know if I come across that issue while going through posts on here.

Keep me posted. Otherwise trying to figure out if I need to drop $$$ on a fuel lift or it's just this damn cold preventing fuel getting pumped through lines.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:19 AM

I would try topping off the bowl with fresh clean diesel and try starting it, I know they are hard to start after you replace the pump because everything has to build up enough pressure again but mine is being very stubborn. Also DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID TO TRY AND GET IT GOING!

Fuel pump probably took about an hour and a half to change but I had a ton of sediment in my housing that I had to clean out. Its pretty easy you take off the fuel filter housing (2 bolts) remove the rubber lines and wiring then you disconnect the ipr 1 1/4 in bolt just behind the pump and then SLOWLY pry the pump out as straight as possible. If you are unfamiliar with them they have a tappet that is not held in and if you dont pull the out straight the tappet could fall out and then you have a major problem!

I got my truck to start for 30 seconds maybe then it died again and wont restart.......

Fuel pump cost me $101 just to let you know. I cant imagine the pump is bad unless its leaking from the weep hole, is the valley on top of the motor dry?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Fuel bowl empty wont run

Wow thanks. Great info! I just remembered this situation I had. I drive this maybe once a month. Two months ago I drove it 100 miles. Got fuel filter light on dash.

Changed fuel filter. Drive 60 miles. Parked it. Fuel was pouring Into the Parking lot. I then realized I screwed up and the new filter didn't have the o-ring. Went back to autozone got the o-ring that wasn't in box.

Drive again and still was leaking something from the bottom of engine while running then when I shut it off. Fuel bowl kept filling during this.

The past three times I've run the truck no leaks. No issues. Fuel filter light flickered every once in a while. But no leaks no issues.

Like I said I had no issues the past couple hindered miles after all that. And then haven't started it in weeks. So I don't know if there's a connection between the issues.

For you: I had a similar issues last year. This is really obvious so forgive but I thought u had injector or fuel pump issue. Wouldn't turn over. Turned out to be the CPS.

On my way to buy pump.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Fuel bowl empty wont run

HEy strokin and smokin. I can't get the small hose that attaches to the bottom of the fuel bowl to line up. It's either too short or too long. I can't put pump in and the hose. What am I doing wrong? Did you take out the fuel bowl and hook it up then slide it all back down? Help appreciated. Everything else seems fine

Old 01-26-2013, 11:56 PM

To get that bottom hose in I attach a short piece of fuel line to the nipple on the fuel bowl itself. As you are putting the fuel bowl into place, tilt it slightly while pushing the fuel line onto the nipple on the pump. A test run with a slightly longer then needed hose, mark, pull bowl, cut, install.
I've found the hardest hose to get on is the bowl drain. A needle nose pliers seemed to help I recall.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Fuel bowl empty wont run

Thanks creek! Working up the courage to go do this. Still frozen from yesterday. It's 15 degrees here in ne Ohio. 8 hours outside yesterday. Thanks man!! Ill let u know what I came up with.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittdiesel View Post
HEy strokin and smokin. I can't get the small hose that attaches to the bottom of the fuel bowl to line up. It's either too short or too long. I can't put pump in and the hose. What am I doing wrong? Did you take out the fuel bowl and hook it up then slide it all back down? Help appreciated. Everything else seems fine

I agree with Creek but when I replaced my fuel line I cut it exactly to what the original line was. When I took mine out I left the hose on and only loosed the hose clamp that attached to the IPR. Its kind of difficult to guide the housing as well as get the hose onto the nipple but it can be done I think the first time I put just a small touch of vaseline of the nipple to get the hose to slide easier...

If you are having problems with the drain hose I left that on as well and just used a really long pair of needle nose pliers to guide it into the right place.

One the upside at least your fuel tanks are not full of sugar. hah
Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Fuel bowl empty wont run

Yeah no sugar in my tanks. Thanks for the info. This is taking me way longer than expected. Frostbite possibly haha. Well I got everything in. Except that god forsaken banjo bolt. I've read every tip on the net. My hands are just way to big. All the bolts have some threads left so I can move everything. Still can't get it. Gonna try a 1.25" long wall socket going under the turbo pedestal from the back. Ran out of time yesterday. Hope this is the trick! Ill let u know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.