Really High EGT Temperature, Possibly Faulty Gauge? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Really High EGT Temperature, Possibly Faulty Gauge?

Okay guys I'll try to keep this short and simple. As some of you know I bought a 1997 F-250 7.3 5-Speed 4x4 Powerstroke about 2 weeks ago. It had a TS Performance 6 position chip with some kind of custom funky smoke bellowing tunes. So I sent that back to TSP to have it reburned to their specs. So now my truck is using the stock Ford factory tune in the PCM. As far as performance, it supposedly has 200cc injectors, a custom ground impeller which I saw when inspecting the turbo (previous owner referred to it as a "Wicked Wheel"), HPOP, and 4.10 gears. The family and I took a trip to walmart tonight (about 15 miles 1 way) and I noticed that the Pyrometer gauge stayed steady around 1100-1200 degress. This as I cruised about 60 MPH @ 1900-2000 RPM. A gradual incline or slight acceleration would cause it to jump to 1500-1600. I never cracked into it or drove it any other way than the way it was intended. Stock PCM, zero exhaust smoke, and no issues or noticeable differences in performance otherwise. If not for that Pyrometer gauge, I wouldn't even create this post but it worries me and I'd like to see what you guys suggest. I checked for the probe and it's located in the driver's side manifold not far from the mounting flange. My truck is none intercooled and the restrictive stock downpipe can't be helping anything so I plan to change those in the very near future but as of right now, I just hope I'm not on track for melting a piston under normal driving circumstances. I may buy a handheld non contact laser thermometer and compare the temperatures. Oh and by the way, the gauge is an Autometer Cobalt. Thanks for any help guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Those temps are a little high for cruising. Should be around 700-900 cruising and pulling small inclines.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree. Any ideas?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Faulty probe. Have a temp gun?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No I'm going to try to run one down tomorrow to compare the temps.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok so I bought a temperature gun from the local auto parts store. This morning when I ran some errands I started my powerstroke and let it run for about an hour. When I came back the pyrometer was reading 1200 degrees. So I used the heat gun and shined it on a spot on the manifold about a 1/4 from the pyrometer probe. It was reading about 180. It was cool enough that I could hold my fingers on it for 3-4 seconds. Obviously not 1200. I checked the exhaust side of the turbo as well and it was reading about 160. I casually drove it to the junkyard about 12 miles one way and when I got back home I checked it again. The same spot near the probe was at 255 and the exhaust side of the turbo was about 235. So now I just have to figure out if my problem is the probe or the gauge.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:30 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
New gauge comes with new probe rite just replace both
Old 01-01-2013, 07:08 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
EGT probes work on resistance, so if there is a bad connection it can really effect how accurate it is. I would check that out first. You can't even shorten the wires from the probe either if their a little too long for your liking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
degrees, egt, exhaust, hot, turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.