Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Replaced fuel pump, tank, cam sensor, now just cranks and cranks.....

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  jjohns816 
#1 ·
So, this may end up being another priming thread, but I don't think so. After being told I needed a new pump (still low pressure after cleaning screen and replacing filter), I replaced the fuel pump, and a leaking rear tank and broken sending unit intake screen. Also, there was a cam position sensor code in the system so I replaced the cam sensor as well. Now it just cranks and cranks and cranks, no fuel smell in the exhaust. I've purged all the air I can out of the schrader valve--lots of air came out, but I've drained the batteries. W T F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 ·
I'm hoping not. It was running ~fine~ before replacing the parts. I say "fine" because it had an intermittent fuel delivery problem--i.e. when you were going up a hill or accelerating. The diagnostic that was run on it didn't say anything about the oil pressure. It's just not getting fuel now and for the life of me I can't tell why.

#4 ·
no start

First thing is that a can sensor can be bad out of the box. Does tach bounce while cranking? Next check fuse 22 and make sure it is not blown. Does wts light come on? Next check hpop oil level. Is it at least 1 inch from top by plug? No means check lpop. Does oil gauge in truck go up while cranking? If oil is full in hpop probe icp sensor while cranking. Does voltage increase while cranking? Yes means hpop is good. The voltage needs to hit 1v in icp sensor to tell PCm to fire idm. Icp hits 1v and still no white smoke points toward idm. Find someone with 7.3 (any year) and swap. You said you had low fuel pressure at schrader valve. Mine is a little less than 20 psi when it cranks over. Its not to picky on pressure as long as it has pressure and fuel in bowl. If I missed anything big fuel has taught me a lot about these engines and hopefully he will chime in with Patrick or Eric.

#6 ·
First thing is that a can sensor can be bad out of the box. Does tach bounce while cranking? Next check fuse 22 and make sure it is not blown. Does wts light come on? Next check hpop oil level. Is it at least 1 inch from top by plug? No means check lpop. Does oil gauge in truck go up while cranking? If oil is full in hpop probe icp sensor while cranking. Does voltage increase while cranking? Yes means hpop is good. The voltage needs to hit 1v in icp sensor to tell PCm to fire idm. Icp hits 1v and still no white smoke points toward idm. Find someone with 7.3 (any year) and swap. You said you had low fuel pressure at schrader valve. Mine is a little less than 20 psi when it cranks over. Its not to picky on pressure as long as it has pressure and fuel in bowl. If I missed anything big fuel has taught me a lot about these engines and hopefully he will chime in with Patrick or Eric.

Really good advice here. Hopefully I won't ever have to use it!! There's still a "fuel filter" light on hard accels but no stalling. I only cleaned the inlet to the pressure regulator, and I think there's another screen in there. I'll tackle that in daylight. I've smelled enough diesel for today.

#5 ·
Update: I went out with a flashlight and saw what I couldn't see earlier: I forgot to re-connect the tiny little harness to the drivers side of the underneath of the fuel bowl. Problem solved.

Strokin.

#7 · (Edited)
So I'm pretty sure there's another screen in there clogged somewhere. I meant to post this picture of the bottom of the fuel bowl. It's hard to tell from the crappy cell phone picture but there's almost 3/8"!!! of gunk down at the bottom. No kidding. Edit: There WAS 3/8" of gunk. It is spotless now.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.