Battery drained while sitting in cold - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery drained while sitting in cold

My truck has been starting fine all summer. But now it will barely crank when I start it up in the cold. It was about 30 degrees this morning so its not like I'm in subzero temps. On Sunday day this happened so I put a battery tender on it, and it read 55%. I charged it up to 100% and then fired the truck up. I let it run for about 20 minutes then turned it off.

This morning I went to start it. I turned the key and all the lights work and the chime sounded. I waited for glow plugs and then turned to crank it and got a really slow whine that got slower and slower until it won't turn at all.

How can my batteries be depleted after only sitting for two days from a full charge? Will it help if I install insulation blankets over them? Or is there another problem involved?

The truck has 201k miles. I'm using Rotella T6 15-40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
Originally Posted by luca_brasi View Post
My truck has been starting fine all summer. But now it will barely crank when I start it up in the cold. It was about 30 degrees this morning so its not like I'm in subzero temps. On Sunday day this happened so I put a battery tender on it, and it read 55%. I charged it up to 100% and then fired the truck up. I let it run for about 20 minutes then turned it off.

This morning I went to start it. I turned the key and all the lights work and the chime sounded. I waited for glow plugs and then turned to crank it and got a really slow whine that got slower and slower until it won't turn at all.

How can my batteries be depleted after only sitting for two days from a full charge? Will it help if I install insulation blankets over them? Or is there another problem involved?

The truck has 201k miles. I'm using Rotella T6 15-40.
get some more powerful/newer batteries.. this happened to me and i needed new batteries.. check and see if you got something plugged in somewhere
Old 12-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
get some more powerful/newer batteries.. this happened to me and i needed new batteries.. check and see if you got something plugged in somewhere
I have Super Start batteries, about one year old and well within warranty. Are these ****? What brand do you recommend?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just checked the label on my batteries and sure enough they're labeled 675 CCA at 0 F. That's just way to low. My fault for not checking them out when I bought them.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:30 PM

Sears platinum

Sears diehard platinum 65 series is an Odyssey relabeled and a lot cheaper. 900+ cca.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
Originally Posted by luca_brasi View Post
I have Super Start batteries, about one year old and well within warranty. Are these ****? What brand do you recommend?
could get optima redtops like this one:
Amazon.com: Optima 8004-003-FFP RedTop Group 34/78 Starting Battery: Automotive Amazon.com: Optima 8004-003-FFP RedTop Group 34/78 Starting Battery: Automotive

800 CCA and easy to find in any auto parts store
Old 12-11-2012, 09:13 PM

^^^^ Those Optimas are BELOW the recommended minimum of 850 CCA per battery. Plus, you can get TWO group 65 850 CCA 84-month batteries for about the price of ONE of those Optimas.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:51 AM

say no to the Optimas! Thats just my openion but ive never heard good things from ppl who own them. I last replaced mine at sears, highest cca I could find!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

How much are the Sears batteries?
What about going OEM with Motorcraft?

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
Old 12-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

luca, I would strongly encourage you to hold onto your money at this point and take a closer look at the batteries you already have. Fully-charged, your batteries should measure about 12.6 volts. If you have a period of 12-24 hours, I would suggest fully-charging and totally disconnecting them from your truck. Measure the voltage at the terminals, don't rely on a charger's percentage. Your batteries should hold close to their fully-charged voltage when disconnected for 12-24 hours. If they hold voltage when disconnected, but drop voltage when connected to your truck, there is likely a parasitic draw in the truck that is discharging your batteries. This video explains how to measure parasitic draw- Tech Tips 7: Does my battery need to be replaced? - YouTube

If your batteries don't hold voltage and turn out to need warranty replacement (and dual batteries should be replaced at the same time), take advantage of your warranty- that's why it's there.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
OPTIMAŽ Batteries (optimabatteries) on Pinterest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.