Tranny or fuel problem?!? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tranny or fuel problem?!?

So, here is a quick rundown of what is acting up.

Truck is a '97 F250 4x4 with the Powerstroke and E40D. Recently had issues with the fuel system so I clean the FPR screen and replaced all the soft lines under the fuel bowl.

I have started to get a slight shudder/stutter on light acceleration and while at idle in gear. Also will do this while holding speed. Idles fine in park or nuetral but in gear it surges. I have pulled codes and done all the standard tests with a Snapon MT2500. I have monitored while driving and have not had any codes pop up.

What could I be dealing with here? Tranny slipping and acting up, ICP going out, CPS going again(have changed twice in the last 2 years)?? I'm stumped, this weekend I am going to change the fluid in the tranny and start from there. I somehow don't think that is it tho..

Thanks,
Charlie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Serving Our Country!

Since I got so much help from this site I still haven't fixed this. I changed the tranny fluid and it improved the shifting a ton. Still surged quite a bit, especially at around 40 mph. Well two nights ago the truck shut down completely driving down the road, almost like it ran out of fuel. I've been chasing down sensors for the last day and a half to no avail.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Serving Our Country!

I pulled codes and P0340 (CPS) and P1211(ICP) were thrown. have to charge the batteries back up and am going to try and get the truck started with the ICP unplugged. After that I guess its time for a new CPS.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:46 PM

Hey I am having similar problems but my truck wont read codes for some reason, does it blow white smoke or have problems pulling hills? My truck will pour white out and when I hit a hill it will lose all power and not respond to the pedal and in a few minutes act like nothing is wrong.. is this similar to your truck?
Old 12-19-2012, 05:44 PM
Serving Our Country!

No my truck was pulling fine. Towed with it the day it broke down.. Just stopped out of nowhere.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesnyder View Post
No my truck was pulling fine. Towed with it the day it broke down.. Just stopped out of nowhere.
Huh, well I am completely lost.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to buckels Send a message via MSN to buckels Send a message via Yahoo to buckels
Charlie for your shutdown issue. Have you checked the CPS? They are known to go out on the OBS. I had the same issue when I first had my old 96. As to your other issues I am not sure.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Serving Our Country!

I did change out the CPS. I pulled the fuel bowl again to check everything since I've had it all out recently. I got a new o-ring set for it through dieselsite. With the holiday and weather I haven't gotten to work on it at all so hopefully I will be able to get it running again soon.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Any progress?? I just had a bad CPS right outta the box! I now have a spare and a 10mm box end wrench in the toolbox. It may not be an issue for you, but make sure you clean out the connector with electronic spray cleaner. I also did my ICP at the same time--both harnesses had gunk in them. I guess with 393K on the engine it's seen some road grime.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Serving Our Country!

Decided I would pull the fuel pump since the truck wasn't even trying to start when I would crank it. Fuel pump came out in two pieces. Figured while I was that far torn down I would swap in my 17* HPOP.

Still no start. Crank and crank but no fire up. Will just crank until the batteries die. After all the cranking I pulled the fuel filter and the bowl was still empty. So I filled it with the can and tried again. Still nothing.

I'm about to get my truck up in the mountains and push it off a cliff. I am by no means a mechanic and with a new baby in the house we have had zero extra cash to pay someone to look at it.

I'm stumped..... Anyone have any ideas.

Things I've done so far:

New CPS
Pulled and inspected fuel bowl
17* HPOP
New lift pump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.