1997 starter relay problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1997 starter relay problems

Every couple times I went to start my truck, I would get a single click and no cranking - attempt it again and it would crank right up. A mechanic friend of mine said it was probably a bad spot in the starter relay on the fender. He gave me one that he knew was good.

I took a picture of the wiring on the original before I took it off to ensure that I had all the wiring correct on the new one. The only thing is that one of the smaller posts was naked and he told me to run a wire from that post to ground.

I installed the new one with the correct wiring and put my ground cable straight to the negative battery terminal just to make sure it would start, it started right up. I then moved the wire to another spot where a couple of other grounds were anchored and went to start and the same click, went back to the battery terminal, click. I ended up putting the old one back on, had a few clicks then it started up again. I think it may have something to do with how I was grounding it. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 07:58 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If it was a bad ground then you would not likely be getting a "click" altogether at the relay. Starters and engines have a nasty habit of stopping their rotations in the same spot. Meaning when you kill the motor the motor will usually rotate and stop with the same cylinder ready to fire as the last start. Same with the starter motor. it spins to crank the motor and when you release the key from the start position it'll usually stop it's rotation in the same position that it started in. If you removed the flex plate/fly-wheel from the motor and the stater from the starter housing you will see a lot more wear in one section of the units then anywhere else.

First things first, get a thick screw driver. Put the key in run. Using the screw driver jump the two big posts on the relay. If the truck starts every time then the issue is still on top of the motor. if it does not then the issue is at the starter under the motor.

I can think of two things happening with your starting system. Either the starter is on its way out due to burns on the stater or the starter itself needs to be removed from the truck clean the exterior and reinstall. You may just have a bad ground at the starter motor (self grounding).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.