Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Turn Signals, Brake Lights, Relays, Fuses!!!

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  BigFuel 
#1 · (Edited)
1997 F250

Had an issue about a year ago where Fuse 13 blew. ABS light comes on, can't shift from park, no brake lights, etc...

So yesterday it blew again. I knew what the problem was from last year so I put in another fuse and it too popped. Same issues as before. The problem is this time it continues to pop. I make it down the road for a ways and the ABS light flashes and again the fuse blew. Obviously there was something else wrong. I pulled the taillight covers and discovered some fresh wear on a wire. I corrected that issue and thought I found the problem. Well now I put the fuse back in and the brake lights work fine, but still no turn signals. Just got back from the parts store and put in the new relay. I drove to parts store without the flasher relay in place to try to rule that out. Applied brakes and they light up fine. I apply right turn signal and the left bulb stays lit constant. Applied left turn and the right bulb stays constant. Tried to repeat and now nothing but brake lights - turns don't work at the bulb or on teh dash! Like I blew the relay again. Not sure if its a fuse box issue or what.....any insight would be helpful!! I checked power at the flasher relay - have solid 12v at the red w/yellow (upper).,.,.have very weak power at the lower wire (white with red stripe)?? These belong to the relay in the back....not sure what that one is for.

See less See more
#2 ·
Under the dash or under the hood?

#4 ·
Ok when you said fuse 13 both of them power things inside the cab. Right off I'd say you have a shorting wire in the steering column. Take off the covers and disconnect the multifunction switch and the hazard button from the harness connectors. Does the fuse still pop? If not then the issue is likely between the connector and the switch itself. If yes then the issue is between the connector and the fuse box.

Yes, the assembly on the same side of the panel as the fuses is the Turn Signal assembly. The other on the back is the Hazard assembly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.