EBPV? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2007, 02:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EBPV?

What would cause my Exhuast back pressure valve to start to close after the engine is warm and driving down the road? Truck is a 97 and today was the first cold night Below 35 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2007, 03:11 AM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

My guess would be the engine temp sensor. I'm not sure how to check it, but you can probably find the problem by scanning codes.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Theres no codes, Another cold night tonight and didnt do it, Probably going to be a intermitten issue. I dont drive the truck in the winter, Im gonna do a new turbo set up any ways and eliminate the ebpv all together.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:28 PM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
after driving it for about 5 minutes does it stop? if it does it is normal. At partial load and lower than 45*ambient temp(IIRC) with the oil temp not up to operating level will do this. I am sure someone will chime in with all of the technical numbers but it happens when cold. Should go away after you drive it a bit to warm it up.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine would piss me off it would come on while i was driving down the highway I was geting horible milage and no power plus the sound was annoying too! I just un plugged the electronic actuator on mine. its a plug in on the underside of the compresors housing... you dont need it. its gay erase it!

suposedly the exhaust back preasure sensor can go bad causing it to act up or the tube going up to the exhaust back preasure sensor can get plugged giving the sensor false readings. hope this helps
Old 10-26-2007, 06:17 PM

what does it sound like when this closes? Just curious because I'm wondering if this is what my truck is doing. I thought up to this point it was the fan clutch but does a fan clutch rob your truck of power?...either mine does or maybe it's the ebpv. Any side effects to unplugging it?
Old 10-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nope the truck was at operating temp, Ran for about 35mins before i left work, Got a 20min drive home and it did it the whole way, You could hear it drone through the intake and as soon as you stepped down on the throttle it would open again and the turbo would spool up like normal and run fine, just settling into a cruising speed it would close.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
what does it sound like when this closes? Just curious because I'm wondering if this is what my truck is doing. I thought up to this point it was the fan clutch but does a fan clutch rob your truck of power?...either mine does or maybe it's the ebpv. Any side effects to unplugging it?
ive ran mine for a year with no side efects.

itll make kind of a woshing sound when it closes. and if its closing while your excelerating you will notice a slight loss of power.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rankroddin250 View Post
Mine would piss me off it would come on while i was driving down the highway I was geting horible milage and no power plus the sound was annoying too! I just un plugged the electronic actuator on mine. its a plug in on the underside of the compresors housing... you dont need it. its gay erase it!

suposedly the exhaust back preasure sensor can go bad causing it to act up or the tube going up to the exhaust back preasure sensor can get plugged giving the sensor false readings. hope this helps
tell me more on how to unplug this senor, mines intermitantly doing this too and its DRIVING ME NUTS
Old 12-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

mine done the same thing... i unplugged it. theres another thread, bad ebpv?
as far as unplugging it, just under and foward of the turbo, drivers side, there will be a two wire connector, unplug it. its the only connector there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.