Holy Electrical Hell!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down Holy Electrical Hell!!!!

Before you say it... I have searched!

It seems that someone has pulled the self-destruct button on the truck... I decided that I needed to keep a better eye on my drivetrain so I added a 3 gauge pod with the standard Auto/Powerstroke gauges. Well right before I started my truck started acting up, surging between gears and spooling up weird. Recently my ABS light started flashing so I threw the good ol' Snap-on Scanner and ran some tests... NOTHING came up, again!

I have had the dreaded issue of having the steering column height effecting my signal capabilities. I noticed today that the brake lights stopped working so I started checking bulbs and fuses. Found the 3rd brake light bulb burned out and the plug fried. All fuses are good still, checked the "BOO" and brake pedal switch both looked good.

I feel I have checked all my resources. I know the bulb is causing some of the issues. But can it all be that?

Help!!!

p.s. sorry for the short story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you have a 3rd brake light issue it will cause issues with your tranny. In addition are you noticing your speedo needle jumping around? A bad vehicle speed sensor in your rear axle can cause that ( wiring could be chaffed or corroded too).
Old 11-08-2012, 09:16 AM
BANNED by Kris

^x2. The ABS light will flash if it sees air in the brake lines(bleed at the ABS block under the truck about where your foot would be on the frame rail) or a vacuum pump issue as well.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Serving Our Country!

I decided to dig a bit more in the truck today and found a few more burnt bulbs. Replaced all the bulbs in the truck as well as the flasher relay and got a couple more lights to turn on!

I noticed my blinker in the dash was not working so I decided to check and see if possibly my blinker issues were caused by that and to my dismay the bulb is fine....

I did however find this..........

The entire electrical backing (not sure what it is) is brittle and rusty.... The layers have started to separate and there seems to have been moisture in them.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:37 AM
BANNED by Kris

Look above it to see if the moisture is coming from the bottom of the windshield. I have that happening slowly to mine too. Yeah, the printed circuit boards are old and hard to keep in good condition. I don't know where you could get a new one.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

^^^ And if the traces affected include the arrow indicators for the turn signals, that could be the cause of your troubles right there. Or a part of it, anyway.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Serving Our Country!

The area I showed separated is the turn signal side I am having issues with. I'm about to light this truck on fire....
Old 11-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Serving Our Country!

Well I chased down a few of my electrical demons. Found the blinker issue to be the tilt wheel connector to the flasher switch. The plastic clips that hold the wires in are all broken so the wires pushed out. Ford wants $40 for the clip but I found the comparative on at Oreilly's and I will order it first thing in the morning.

For the 3rd brake light I have the connector torn down and I am going to buy the new bulb sockets and wire them myself. Again Ford wants $40... Not gonna happen.

I will update with P/N and prices for the fixes.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 PM
BANNED by Kris

Good to hear you're taming those electrical faults.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.