Bad Hub causing ABS light? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad Hub causing ABS light?

2001 Excursion PSD. My son has been driving our X for a while now. Came home 2 weeks ago and told me the ABS light was on. Ordered the rear sensor and replaced. ABS light still on. Checked the front sensors to make sure they were connected. ABS light still on. Took the truck for a test spin and immediately heard a familiar grinding sound from the front left. When backing the truck into the driveway with the wheel cut hard it would not even roll without giving it some pedal. Having done the passenger hub last year I'm assuming the other one is now shot. Would a bad hub set off the ABS light?
I think the ABS sensor is internal to the hub assembly??

Thanks,
Bubbalarge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Hmmm, I have to think hard about an Excursion setup. Normally if it were a car I'd say a definite YES as if the sensor is too far from the wheel speed ring then the system is freaking out that all the tires are spinning except one. LONG miles and no cleaning of the sensor will trip this too. If the sensor or the speed ring is too dirty they won't work off each other (i.e. covered in brake dust). Being a truck and not a car the first thing I'd do, besides checking and fixing a worn hub, is to do a complete brake fluid flush. Our OBS trucks like to create and hide an air bubble at the ABS block on the frame rail (usually below the Master Cylinder) and that will set off an ABS light quick. There is a bleeder screw on our system and I'd expect the same for yours.

P.S. to get more responses you may want to repost this in the 99-03 7.3L forum.

Good luck!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:45 PM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Yes a bad hub will cause the ABS light to come on because it is built into the hub. I can order you one if needed
Old 11-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks but got new hub and tore apart today. I read a write up on the hub replacement and it talks about a plastic thrust washer between the hub and the knuckle seal?? was not one there upon disassembly and I know I never saw on when I did the other side last year. I also found round metat ring behind the hub when I removed it. It looks like part of the knuckle seal??

Thanks,
Bubbalarge
Old 11-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

^ has someone answered your question yet? I think that I found the part that you are asking about (click the yellow bar to see a larger picture. If it is still too small to see hold the Ctrl button and hit the + [plus] button. To return to normal hold the Ctrl button and hit the zero). The part number to the right of the picture is only the suffix part number. You still need to identify your vehicles prefix number to get the right part (sorry, I assumed you had a 4x4). As always I suggest that people get friendly with fordparts.com. The site is slow and sometimes p-a-i-n-f-u-l-l-y slow but Ford has posted some really BEAUTIFUL exploded views of the parts and how things come apart and back together. DON'T buy the parts through the site. Guys, like the one above, that are sponsors of this site will get you a better deal on them.

Last edited by BigFuel; 11-02-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.