96 f250 very hard start and now no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 f250 very hard start and now no start

i have a 96 powerstroke thats been getting harder and harder to start and now it wont start at all...at first it just cranked a for about 10 seconds then start. month or so later it took 30 seconds to get started..now u crank on it a long time of course stoping leting plugs cycle and tryin again and again to get started then rite b4 it starts the check engine lite comes on then it starts..seems to run ok but never did seem to have power like it should...u can let it run 30 mins get warmed up and shut it off and its the same thing over againtryin to start it rite back up..glow plugs seem to be working properly...freshly changed oil and filter...nothins seemed to help...and here lately u cant even get it to start at all for 2 or 3 days of tryin on and off..then all of a sudded one day it mite start..but as soon as u shut it off its like a guessing game when its gona start again..any help would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 08:47 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

While cranking have someone hold a meter against the batteries to see what the cranking voltage is. These trucks need two GOOD batteries to start well. Are you getting white smoke while cranking? If yes move the meter to the Glow Plug Relay and sample the voltage at both big lugs. If there is more than a .5v drop across the relay then the relay is on it's way out.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

glow plugs seam fine and so arent batterys..i checked the fuel pressure and it was 10 to 20 psi when cranking and 20 to 30 when running...got it started off either..which i no is not the right thing to do but i waited for a while with the key on for the glow plugs to go off....we have already replaced the hpop pump a while back to...didnt change anything
Old 10-23-2012, 05:57 PM

Needs no less then 45psi to run the engine. Disassemble FPR and check the screen. Then try the BB mod. Otherwise your looking at a new fuel pump.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sorry not familier with the bb mod? thanks for ur help
Old 10-23-2012, 06:39 PM

No worries, start here:

Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) Screen Writeup

Then go here (you don't need the gauge but it's nice to have for future issues):

OBS FPR Shim and Gauge Install
Old 10-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

cool that makes since..ill give them a try and post back..thanks for all ur help
Old 11-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok i cleaned the screen even put a complete different regulator on it..i also did the bb mod put everything back together took a while to start cause i drained fuel bowl and replaced filter wile i was at it..it started on its own after a while of cranking...so i let it warm up and drove it down to my buddys house....i did notice it run alot better...seemed to have way more responce must of been the bb mod... shut it off and wouldn't start...after messin with it for a while i god mad a gave it a shot of either and it started...so i decided to let it sit for about an hour and a half and idle...i went back over to it and finally shut it off...as soon as the motor stoped spinning i turned the key back on waited for the wait to start lite and tryed starting it...i bet i cranked for 30 seconds straight and finally the check engine lite came on and it started...i dont understand why it starts when the engine lite comes on...when it starts by itself with no either the check engine lite comes on everytime b4 it starts but if u give it a shot if either it starts with no check engine lite and once its running it runs fine now....but it just wont atrt on its own..its got me completely stumped
Old 11-03-2012, 06:30 PM

If you went out right now and looked into the HPOP sump, does it have oil in it or is it empty?
Old 11-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the oil is about 3 or 4 inches from the top of the reservoir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.