removing 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry removing 7.3

hi startin to pull engine from 94f250 4x4 how many bolts are on belhousing will it come out with starter on as i cant get the inside bolt out ,can i leave the turbo on also i havent done this in forty years thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 01:02 AM

Location: In the midwest (I travel a lot so it varies between South Dakota and Nebraska and the midwest)
It's been too long for me since it was back in 96 or 97ish that I had to pull one. Umm...I think I was able to leave the turbo on.

As for the starter, also, I believe you need to remove it. (you will have to remove it anyway since you'll need to mount the motor back to the trans without it to make sure you don't break the housing and other things).

And, can't remember how many bolts are on bellhousing either but I would just state the obvious and get them all out. Obviously, if you need to pry too hard, you've probably missed one somewhere.

Sorry to post mostly unhelpful info but I'm sure some others can get on here and get you some better help.

Just curious (not to change the subject), why are you pulling it? Did it have running issues? Oil consumption issues? Low power?

I ask because as a young wipper snapper as a Ford tech at a dealer back in the day 95ish to 2000ish (rookie), I worked with a couple other veterans of 25 and 40+ years. When these powerstrokes came out, they were fairly advanced for them since they were used to the older IDI diesels and tractor diesels and so on. So, me being a new guy, I was pushed into them.

But, these veterans taught me a few things and one time I had one of these powerstrokes come in and it sounded horrible. Just horrible. Like it had a bad knock in it (and no, not an usual diesel knocking sound). It was just loud as crap. Well, the veteran told me that one of the injectors wasn't firing right or it was getting too much fuel into the chamber or somethin so he listened to it and told me to take the injectors out. At this time, I had already learned that these old (back then they were new technology) powerstrokes had issues with the O-rings and I had changed many of them so I had much experience taking out the injectors.

Wouldn't you know it, one of the injectors was missing the copper ring that goes on the bottom of the seat/needle area. To this day, I am still baffled as to where that ring could have went because it wasn't even there. It's like Ford forgot to install it in the first place. But since it had this aweful sound at the time without it, a person would think it would have sounded that horrible off the lot. (I don't know) Anyway......

After putting in a new kit, it ran wonderfully and sounded great. I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, oil consumption can be caused by a few things and it does NOT necessarily mean the engine is bad. Same with driveability issues.

I ask because I have heard of a few people spending 1000's of $$$'s on rebuilding these motors only to find that they wouldn't have had to because they really didn't find anything wrong with them on the inside when they tore them down (anyone else been there??). As such, they spent all of this time and money pulling a motor for nothing.

So, I was just curious as to why you are pulling it. Sorry if that's me being too nosey but if a mechanic or shop diagnosed it for you, what did they do to come to the conclusion of needing to replace the motor? Or, what did you do to decide that? What was it doing/not doing that you feel it needs to be replaced?
Old 10-18-2012, 09:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

motor

it has 368000 klm on it its throwin oil in turbo and no power i just found a spring or a coil in the oil when i changed it im thinkin its glow plug i went and stuck the breather hose from air filter in to the engine filler spout drove couple miles and the smoke was real bad could not see over hood motor is very loud im thinkin hole in side of piston . i have to raise the motor to take of the pan anyway ,,i think .. thanks for the reply
Old 10-18-2012, 05:35 PM

Location: In the midwest (I travel a lot so it varies between South Dakota and Nebraska and the midwest)
Well, the oil in the turbo could be a few different things but the spring or coil in the oil isn't a good thing obviously. Nor is the sound. But, the smoke over the hood is just exhause leakage and could be a few different areas. Unless you're talking about the fact that the exhause is making its way all the way from the back to the cab area because it's so bad. Yeah, then that's not good.

Bummer for you man. I wish it could be something as easy as replacing a few seals or lines and exhaust leaks but probably not the case the way it sounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.