Hard starting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 09:51 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard starting

I have searched through quite a few threads on this issue but come away a bit confused...

Here is my story: I have a 1995 F-350 with the 7.3 turbo. I have only had it a few months. Up until a week or two ago it would start the first try after the "wait to start" light would go out. Then, rather suddenly, I would have to try 4-5 times to get it to start cold after letting the glow plugs do their thing longer and longer each time. It would start amid great clouds of white smoke.

After the first start it would start easily on a warm start.

After doing some research here and thinking I had some basic knowledge of the workings of a Diesel I thought it was bad glow plugs. So...I replaced all the glow plugs and even used new valve cover gaskets as long as I was in there. I got it all put back together and it started first try. Problem solved. Or so I thought.

Last night I went out to start it, and back to it's old tricks, had to let it glow a long time after a few trys at starting and again it fired up amid great clouds of white smoke.

Back to the forums and I dug a little deeper. I see many references to the glow plug relay, HPOP (which I gather is a high pressure oil pump?) fuel injectors and other items.

The relay is simple enough for me to understand.

Rather than just throw parts at it which gets expensive in a hurry, is there a tried a true methodology to try to isolate the problem?

I still don't get what the HPOP has to do anything.

I also read in one thread that glow plugs really don't have any impact on starting when ambient temps are about 50 degrees. I live in NW Washington and the temps have been 50-60 degrees lately.

If this is the case then maybe I am on the wrong track thinking it is glow plug related.

Any of your help and expertise is most welcome!

Thanks,

Craig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

A weak HPOP will not atomize the fuel very well at cranking speeds. This means a larger (to almost liquid state of fuel) droplets and much harder for a cold piston to self ignite.A leaking injector can also bleed off oil pressure kinda quickly and the HPOP would then have to re energize the system before proper atomization of the fuel. Glow plug relays are a known failure point on a cold starting system. Simple fix as it is on top of the motor right next to the fuel bowl. Check the GPR fuse while you're at it. Test the relay by grounding one side of a meter and touching both heavy relay posts (not at the same time) and see if the voltage is good and consistent on both sides of the relay.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:54 AM

Well, I just went ahead and replaced the glow plug relay ($80!) and the truck started right up last night.

The acid test was this morning when it was rather chilly (39ish degrees) and again it fired right off so hopefully problem solved!

Thanks BigFuel you da man!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

I just try to be helpful. Happy tugging
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.