Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Died while driving

5K views 41 replies 4 participants last post by  BigFuel 
#1 ·
Driving my truck for a short while just shut off while driving won't restart.

Replaced the cam shaft sensor
Fuel filter
Checked continuity for fuel pump and fuel bowl
I also replaced the vacuum pump the day before before this problem

Need help from the community

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#2 ·
Is the Accessory belt still on the front of the motor? I replaced a vacuum pump once and within a week it froze up and ate the belt. This caused the motor to shut down.

#4 ·
Just saying bro. Ok, it cranks? Did you hit a bump and it shut down or was it a pretty smooth road? How much fuel is in the tank that you were using? You get a bouncing tac and white smoke when cranking?

#6 ·
I'm kinda leaning fuel too. The reason I asked about the fuel level is that on older fuel sending units the pick-up tube can crack/rot to have holes in it. On the SD I know that the whole pick-up tube can fall off. There is a pick-up foot also at the bottom of the pick-up tube that can cause starvation problems as well but with a full tank this shouldn't be the problem. Does the motor oil smell like fuel? The lift pump can leak internally into the block and not build adequate pressure. No smoke now is telling us that either the injectors are not getting enough fuel pressure or the IDM is not sending the signal to fire. CPS goes to the PCM and the PCM translates that info to the IDM for when to fire.

#14 ·
Do yu have any friends with a 7.3 (any) that you could do a quick change of the IDM?

#17 ·
No white smoke while cranking generally means popped IDM.

#20 ·
Yeah, the inside of a IDM is a bunch of resistors and steppers to make and control the voltage going to the injectors. As the IDM ages the resistor INCREASE in resistance (slowly) to the point that one will eventually burn out. Your IDM is way out of warranty so take it off and open it up. Look for a burned resistor or a burned section of the board. If it's just a resistor then take it to your local TV/electronic repair shop and have them solder in a new one.

All the IDM does is step the voltage from the Batteries through Maxi Fuse 8 and relay #2 from 12v up to 100-115v (depending on the unit you have, look at the sticker on it and it will say "IDM-xxx" where xxx is the voltage of this IDM). The PCM tells The IDM which injector and when to fire it.

#21 ·
Got the injector drive module out, contemplating if anyone would take it for a core if I open it.

Called Ford it's a $938 part
Called Napa it's a $667 part

Ford guy says he can give me a discount
Napa says he can give me a discount

Before I buy the IDM is there a way to test before spending $$$? I'm sure I should go with Ford.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#23 ·
Yes, all IDMs ought to be the same as far as pin setup and function. The differences are the output voltages.

#25 ·
A 7.3L IDM is the same for all years. The later ones are more desirable because they output at a higher voltage. Higher voltage fires off the injectors quicker and more precise. A normal mod for our trucks is to hunt down a Super Duty and use it's IDM instead of ours.

#27 ·
I still think you ought to shove in your Van 7.3L IDM

#32 ·
I thought that I posted this already but I don't see it. Anyway, PM me USAF. I have a Ford no start trouble tree that I can email to you.

#33 ·
Sent.

10 letters

#35 ·
Sent

10 letters

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.