Help Overheating - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to smokin95psd
Help Overheating

I have a 1995 PSD F-350. I was on the interstate on my way to myrtle beach. I have had the truck almost 3 years everyday driver. NEVER EVER even attempted to run hot. stays on the O in NORMAL ALLLLLL the time. summer or winter. it is a 5 speed. i was crusin along 70 mph and i saw my temp gauge start to creep up to the R in normal my analog gauge said about 215* I thaught nothing of it i had the a/c wide open and it was about 94* F outside. i turned the a/c off and it continues to rise past the L in NORMAL and i immidiatly pull off and let it idle. it cools down to the A in NORMAL about 235*. i open the hood and water is boiling in my fill tank. i crack it to let it vent and it pushes alot of the water out. it continues to overheat i cut it off and wait for the tow back home. i get it home and install a new t-stat. it is still overheating i put both of the t- stats in a boiling pot on the stove and neither open up. they are suppose to be 205 t stats. the old and new t stat neither open up. also the truck doesnt leak coolant anywhere. help me please!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Banned

if neither t stat is openin up in boiling water, i would venture to say the second one is bad out of the box......might even want to test the next one.....ive never had a factory t stat bad out of hte box, but i have have seen and heard of several aftermarket ones not opening out of the box......i beleave your right...they are like 200-210 degree t stats i beleave.....
Old 07-17-2006, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to gbear
re: t stat

it sure looks like you got a bad thermostat. If there 205 degree stats they should have opened in boiling water (212 degree) If I put in another I would test it before installation. Did you leave it in the water long enough would be my only question?
Old 07-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Banned

another trick, put some salt in the water, raises the boiling temp......
Old 07-17-2006, 05:52 PM

overheating

hey i think we are all on the same page. i left both t stats in 250* F water for about 5 minutes at least. i would say advance auto parts and auto zone are crap!!!! I guess i will wait a week for my Motorcraft part to come in. thanks alot guys. i love this website. thanks alot
Old 07-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin95psd
hey i think we are all on the same page. i left both t stats in 250* F water for about 5 minutes at least. i would say advance auto parts and auto zone are crap!!!! I guess i will wait a week for my Motorcraft part to come in. thanks alot guys. i love this website. thanks alot
anytime man, sorry to hear about the problem...but i will GARANTEE at 250 degrees that t stat should have opened fully after five mins.....sounds like at least it will be an easy enough fix to figure out.....
Old 07-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Re:

I had this happen on a gas engine on mine (autozone junk) That why I get OEM parts when ever possible. With today fuel prices trips to town get costly.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:32 PM

problem solved

a motorcraft t stat solved my problem thanks alot guys this website is out of this world
Old 07-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Banned

Great to hear all is OK now.....Sometimes spending the few extra bucks on a facatory part pays off....
Old 07-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Powerstroke Techie

re: good deal man

That great man, like I said before I have had some bad experiences with non OEM parts. And I like saving as money as much as the next guy. But I also hate doing the same project over even more. I'm glad your problem is solved.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.