New Owner - 97 wont start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Owner - 97 wont start

Hey guys, I didn't want my first post to be in the problem forum .... but that usually how my life goes!

I bought a 97 crew cab long box (manual) last week. So far it has been great. This morning I went to leave, and it wouldn't crank, lots of power and everything else worked. After some troubleshooting on the net I tried to jump the starter solenoid posts and it fired right up! I went and bought a new solenoid, replaced it, and its still doing the same thing. Won't crank by turning the key. Fires right up if I bridge the solenoid posts with a screwdriver.

Any ideas? I've done a bunch of searching but can't seem to find anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have you verified that your clutch safety wire/switch is still present? I've had it happen before where my clutch interlock switch wentout and it wouldn't start for anything, until I jumped the solenoid then it fired right up.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

^^^^ +1; jumping the relay (that's a relay, BTW, not a solenoid) does not identify it as the bogey. Clutch start switch is the next prime suspect. As a TEMPORARY TEST, you can disconnect the connector from the switch, and jumper the two terminals on the connector closest to the firewall, then see if it starts with the key. CAUTION - with this jumpered, the truck can start IN GEAR with the clutch ENGAGED, so be sure you're pushing the clutch when you try this. Better yet, in case the real problem is with clutch disengagement, put it in neutral before trying to start it.

If that turns out to be the culprit, it may not be the switch itself. Could be sloppy bushings in the pedal box, or the fabled bushing on the lever arm where it connects to the eyelet on the pushrod.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the advice guys, I tried jumping the clutch safety switch and it didn't work either.

Turns out after many headaches, there is a Compustar remote starter system installed in the truck which I never knew about (it didn't come with a FOB) and I wasn't told when I purchased it. Somehow it must have gone into a security mode. After cycling they key 5 times within 10 seconds (or something to that effect) it fired right up. What a nightmare, but at least its over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.