95 PSD Not Starting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 06:01 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 PSD Not Starting

So this started happening about 2 weeks ago, on mornings that are cooler (50 degrees or cooler) when my truck has been sitting all night it won't start. It tries but it usually takes me 3-5 times of letting the glow plugs warm up, trying to start, stop then over again before it will actually start. When trying to start it there is a TON of white smoke pouring out of the exhaust and a little from under the hood. Once it starts it runs fine.

Anyone know what this could be? And have any idea how much it will be to fix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 09:48 AM
BANNED by Kris

Do you have a volt meter? Have someone in the drivers seat. With the meter find the hot side of the Glow Plug Relay (big lug not one of the small lugs). Now place the the positive probe on the cold side of the GPR and have the person in the car cycle the key to the run position. Does the cold side of the GPR now have full battery voltage?
Old 08-30-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuel View Post
Do you have a volt meter? Have someone in the drivers seat. With the meter find the hot side of the Glow Plug Relay (big lug not one of the small lugs). Now place the the positive probe on the cold side of the GPR and have the person in the car cycle the key to the run position. Does the cold side of the GPR now have full battery voltage?
I will try this when I get home. yes I have a volt meter. Would this change after the truck has been sitting overnight? Because after sitting all day at work it starts fine, first turn of the key np. I will report back with what I find.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

More than likely your glow plug relay is bad.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:27 PM
BANNED by Kris

^ I suspect it also. Yes the first start of the morning is the hardest on the engine. All the white smoke leads me to believe that the GPR isn't working and the cylinder isn't hot enough to burn off all the fuel. Mine does this every winter.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrstroke84 View Post
It tries but it usually takes me 3-5 times of letting the glow plugs warm up,
When you say "3-5 times...", do you mean you let the GPs fully cycle (75 seconds or so at 50F), turn the key back and turn it to RUN again, 3-5 TIMES? That's 5-7 full minutes of GP time! If that's what it takes to start the truck, then indeed, you've got a GP issue.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:47 AM

Cycling the glow plugs is useless, they will stay on as long as needed. They stay on after the WTS light is off. Up to two minutes IIRC. Best practice is to leave the key on for longer, rather than turning the key off and on repeatedly. In very cold weather I leave the key on for 30 seconds then start. Works like a charm.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:49 AM

Ok, thanks for all the advice. I figured it would be something with the glow plugs, I will let them sit a little longer tomorrow and see if it fires up on the first try.

Quote:
When you say "3-5 times...", do you mean you let the GPs fully cycle (75 seconds or so at 50F), turn the key back and turn it to RUN again, 3-5 TIMES? That's 5-7 full minutes of GP time! If that's what it takes to start the truck, then indeed, you've got a GP issue.
I mean that I let the glow plugs warm up until my "wait to start" goes away then let it try to start. Then turn it all off and repeat. Although today it started just fine... 48 degrees outside too.

So what needs to be replaced you think? Any idea on the cost? I still haven't done the volt meter test yet..
Old 08-31-2012, 07:08 AM

I suggest replacing it with a stancor relay.

Welcome to guzzle's Stancor GPR replacement Mod Web Page

586 105111 White-Rodgers | Mouser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.