Intermittent Shutdown Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 01:08 AM

Location: I float between Southern Illinois and Southeast Missouri
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intermittent Shutdown Problems

Hi all. I finally got my truck running and driving a few weeks ago with the help of everyone here but I have developed another problem. The truck will literally shut off every once and a while, even when driving. Plus it won’t idle for more than 10 or 20 minutes. It just shuts off. Though the ignition is still hot and all the electrical components continue to work. The first few times it happened, when I tried to restart it, the WTS light never came on and it wouldn’t start until I messed with the relays under the hood. Now, the WTS light comes on when it should and it restarts just fine. I’m just worried about the truck dieing somewhere out in the hills and not being able to restart it by myself. The truck itself has not set a check engine light but I still plan on snatching my buddy’s snap on scan tool to run whatever codes that may be present. In the mean time where should I start? Is it possible that my CPS is going bad? Any help you guy’s can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2007, 09:08 AM
im fat and ugly

bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:25 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

does sound liem its possible to be cps
Old 10-17-2007, 06:03 AM

update. i started the truck this morning and it didnt idle for more than 5 and minutes before it died. went to restart it and once again no glow plug light and it wouldnt start. just cranks.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:05 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
Is the Tach moving? Sounds like the CPS to me.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:29 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

im beginning to think its possible to have a fuel heater shorting out , any time you dont have a wait to start light , the pcm has no power , unplug the fuel heater and try again
Old 10-17-2007, 06:51 AM

where is the fuel heater located in my engine compartment? also what does it look like. one more thing on a side note, once again i went outside to start the truck and the WTS light took almost 30 seconds to come on with out me messing with any engine wiring or realys, but it did come on, on its own this time, just took a while.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:08 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieDirt View Post
where is the fuel heater located in my engine compartment? also what does it look like. one more thing on a side note, once again i went outside to start the truck and the WTS light took almost 30 seconds to come on with out me messing with any engine wiring or realys, but it did come on, on its own this time, just took a while.
the fuel heater is located inside the fuel filter housing , the wire going to it is on the drivers side ,there are two wires going into the side , unplug both of them , like i said before the wait to start light is controlled by the pcm, if its not coming on the pcm isnt getting power , the fuel heater is on the same circuit and gives problems
Old 10-18-2007, 05:45 AM

again i fired the truck up this morning, and it ran fine for about 5 minutes then died. Now the truck wont start back up. I un pluged both connectors on the driver side fuel filter housing in hopes of restarting it but no luck. one looked like it just slipped over a small post and the other was slightly above the post and was kind of a square looking connector. Now what do i do?
Old 10-18-2007, 06:27 AM

well whatever the problem is, i can tell you all for sure its ecm related. I swaped ecm's with one i keep as a spare and it fired right up, no problems what so ever. glow plugs came on for the right amount of time and started fine. ran kinda crappy but i think thats because the ecm codes are diffrent. swaped back to the old one and the truck wouldnt start and the glow plugs wouldnt energize.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.