batterys going dead - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 01:39 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
batterys going dead

i have a 94.5 f350 crewcab centauras conversion truck.. it wont stay charged when parked in the garage. i really don't think it has a draw on it.i always make sure the radio,air,everything is turned off. make sure all 4 doors are closed and no interior lights are left on.. i have left it parked in the yard for several weeks and it always fires rite up. if i park it in the garage for 4-5 days or longer, when i get in, it is stone dead.. it has a brand new alternator, both batterys were replaced a year ago, then it sat 6 months, one of the batterys was replaced under warranty 6 months ago. the truck runs like a dream if it is driven at least every couple days,even if it is parked inside. im getting tired of going out to the garage after a week and it being dead. i don't want it sitting out in the yard rusting out like my last 97. it is too nice. why would it be acting this way?
Attached Thumbnails
batterys going dead-047.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Maverick1701
maybe something w/the temp and the electrolyte levels in the batteries? when was the last time you topped off the water in the batts?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1701 View Post
maybe something w/the temp and the electrolyte levels in the batteries? when was the last time you topped off the water in the batts?
i have never checked them.. i didnt think you even could anymore.. one batt is 6 months old, the other is a year.. i will look at them in the morning.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:50 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1mmy View Post
i have never checked them.. i didnt think you even could anymore.. one batt is 6 months old, the other is a year.. i will look at them in the morning.
You can if you bought the wrong battery. Most modern starting batteries are sealed. You need to hook up a ammeter and start pulling fuses till you find the draw.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to Maverick1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
You can if you bought the wrong battery. Most modern starting batteries are sealed. You need to hook up a ammeter and start pulling fuses till you find the draw.
I learn something new on this forum everyday.
All of our vehicles/generators at work all still have the viewing ports where one can check the level of water and add if needed.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Flooded battereies are still in use but they are rare to find at part stores for automotive use. I probably shouldn't have said it't the wrong battery to use because there may still be some beign built in a starting version. I use some myself for a solar system but they are deep cycle 8v and over 400lbs each.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:25 PM

Most vehicle starting batteries, although maintenance-free, are still considered "flooded" batteries. It's the same battery chemistry and technology as before, only without the ability to add water. Unlike truly "sealed" batteries, such as the Sealed Lead Acid batteries used in UPSes and hand-held spotlights and the like, and AGM batteries, maintenance-free vehicle starting batteries cannot be used in any position; they still need to be "right-side up".
Old 10-04-2012, 06:21 PM

Last edited by j1mmy; 01-11-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Headlight switch dimmer

I bought a 97 that had a history of killing batteries. I finally found the cause, sometimes the interior light dimmer would be in a position where the nicrome wire (wire spring resistor) falls out of its holder and shorts to chassis ground. Not enough to light the interior lights but enough to kill the batteries if given enough time. Overnight in the winter for me. I was able to chase it down using the current meter of a DMM on the battery and pulling fuses. I ended up cutting out most of the nichrome wire so the interior lights don't dim as much as original, but this is better then having the same problem with a replacement. I consider the dimmer an engineering defect.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:20 PM

i finally had it with the batterys going dead.. it will only take a few days to go dead now.

i hooked up a meter between the neg cable and terminal, then started pulling fuses. pulled the aux1 25amp fuse under the hood, it stopped drawing power.i think the batterys will stay charged now. but now the radio doesn't work..

what exactly is the aux1 fuse position, i cant find the rite diagram for it.. the only one i can find says that position is for passing lights and daytime runninglights in Canada.. my radio is a JVC hooked up to the factory radio harness with an adapter wiring plug.it seems to work rite,it turns on and off with the ignition, so i cant figure out how that is killing the battery. do aftermarket stereos draw too much unswitched standby power to keep the memory?

thanks for the advice about pulling fuses, i wish i would of checked it then instead of being so stubborn and thinking it was my garage magically drawing power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.