Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Smoked clutch on a 5 speed

982 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mOrloff 
#1 ·
This is a two part topic.

As a new owner of a '95 powerstroke 5-speed, I needed to back my heavy RV up a hill into a camping spot.
I've driven plenty of 5-speeds, and backed up plenty of trailers ... but I realized at that moment that this was the first time I was doing both while going up a hill.

Things went wrong, so very, very wrong :)
For starters, the reverse on this truck, even at idle, is astoundingly quick. Way too fast to back our mammoth 5th wheel into that spot.
So, in order to keep my speed under control, I was feathering the clutch :eek:
By time I had the rig half way into positions, a big plume of smoke came out from under the belly of my truck :doh:

Anyhow, at that point it dawned on me that I could just drop it into 4-low, and work at a comfortable speed ... but the damage was done :tard:
Once I got things into position, I left things where they lie. I didn't even want to start the truck again until it was time to haul it home.

-----
So, my first question is ... How should that be done?
What is the proper way to back a behemoth up a hill with a manual transmission?
-----

Now there is an embarrassingly loud squeal that comes from (presumably) the clutch. The squeal changes tones each time I move the clutch pedal, so I feel pretty comfortable with that presumption. I was told it sounds like the pilot bearing.
The guy at NAPA suggested that, since I got it that hot, I just get the whole clutch replacement kit and do it all in one fail swoop.
But that's hundreds of dollars!

I was able to haul everything home, and it went alright, but it did SEEM like not all of my power was getting to the back wheels when pulling up the hills .. but I might have just been paranoid :confused:

After a couple days at home, I hauled the trailer back to storage (a pretty flat 5-minute drive), and it hauled like a champ (other than the horrible squealing).

-----
My second question is ... What do I need to replace?
Should I just bite the bullet and do the whole thing, or do I have decent odds of just needing to replace a bearing or two, or ???
-----

:please:
~ Mo

See less See more
#3 ·
Single mass fly wheel and the 4low solution works well I've used it in other trucks but my reverse doesnt seem bad in my 6 speed but if your gonna tare into the clutch you might as well replace anything it's worth is so you don't have to dive into it again later

iPhone auto correcting incorrectly like a boss

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.