Smoked clutch on a 5 speed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smoked clutch on a 5 speed

This is a two part topic.

As a new owner of a '95 powerstroke 5-speed, I needed to back my heavy RV up a hill into a camping spot.
I've driven plenty of 5-speeds, and backed up plenty of trailers ... but I realized at that moment that this was the first time I was doing both while going up a hill.

Things went wrong, so very, very wrong
For starters, the reverse on this truck, even at idle, is astoundingly quick. Way too fast to back our mammoth 5th wheel into that spot.
So, in order to keep my speed under control, I was feathering the clutch
By time I had the rig half way into positions, a big plume of smoke came out from under the belly of my truck

Anyhow, at that point it dawned on me that I could just drop it into 4-low, and work at a comfortable speed ... but the damage was done
Once I got things into position, I left things where they lie. I didn't even want to start the truck again until it was time to haul it home.

-----
So, my first question is ... How should that be done?
What is the proper way to back a behemoth up a hill with a manual transmission?
-----

Now there is an embarrassingly loud squeal that comes from (presumably) the clutch. The squeal changes tones each time I move the clutch pedal, so I feel pretty comfortable with that presumption. I was told it sounds like the pilot bearing.
The guy at NAPA suggested that, since I got it that hot, I just get the whole clutch replacement kit and do it all in one fail swoop.
But that's hundreds of dollars!

I was able to haul everything home, and it went alright, but it did SEEM like not all of my power was getting to the back wheels when pulling up the hills .. but I might have just been paranoid

After a couple days at home, I hauled the trailer back to storage (a pretty flat 5-minute drive), and it hauled like a champ (other than the horrible squealing).

-----
My second question is ... What do I need to replace?
Should I just bite the bullet and do the whole thing, or do I have decent odds of just needing to replace a bearing or two, or ???
-----

~ Mo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Maverick1701
time to upgrade to a Single mass flywheel!
Im sure other guys will chime in here too.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:13 PM
spool up that turbo!!

Single mass fly wheel and the 4low solution works well I've used it in other trucks but my reverse doesnt seem bad in my 6 speed but if your gonna tare into the clutch you might as well replace anything it's worth is so you don't have to dive into it again later

iPhone auto correcting incorrectly like a boss
Old 08-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys .. I think I was hoping to to get talked out of spending all that money, but I think you're right .. do it once and for all.

Thanks-a-bunch,
~ Mo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.