96 Powerstroke loses power. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 Powerstroke loses power.

Hi everyone. I have a 1996 f250 4x4 auto powerstroke. Been having a problem with the truck for the last two months or so.

When I go start the truck in the morning, after my shift at work or anytime it sits for more then a few hours, it starts, runs well for a min or two then while driving loses all power, throttle stops working, smokes blue smoke out of the exhaust and wont shift properly.

Usually I just give it more throttle and eventually it "catches" and gains speed and power back, but runs rough until the truck is warm.

The couple times its died on me during this, it has been hard to start but once started as long as i idle with throttle applied for 5-10 mins it works ok. If i try and let it idle under its own power it dies out.

I replaced the fuel filter a month ago and it worked better for a week, but then the same issues came back, and have slowly been getting worse and worse. Ive been running some Diesel Kleen through it in case it was bad fuel or dirty injectors.

I dont really wanna just throw money at it until i find out what the problem is. Anyone have any ideas? Bad injector? Fuel pump packing it in? Any help is appreciated. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 09:09 AM
BANNED by Kris

Do you have duel tanks, does it do the same thing in both settings? When you swapped the filter did you clean the FPR screen? Unplug the connector to the EBPV and go for a drive.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:53 PM

It did have duel tanks, but the back one was removed years ago due to it being rotted out. Did not clean the FPR screen when I changed the filter. But did clean the Screen last year at one point while addressing a fuel leak in the valley.

Whereabouts is the EBPV connector located? and whats it look like? I could try that out.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:56 PM
BANNED by Kris

There is a two wire connector right under the turbo (intake side / drivers side)
Old 08-03-2012, 01:14 PM
BANNED by Kris

Also make sure the valve is open. Other side of the turbo (turbine side). Feel under the output side between the turbine and downpipe. You'll feel/see an actuator rod. Disconnect the rod from the valve and wire the valve open.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:34 PM

just to inquire a little more, what does unplugging that do?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:58 PM
BANNED by Kris

Just a check right now. One wire supplies pos. and the other is a switched neg. When working correctly on a cold start the PCM will close the valve to create back pressure in the exhaust to quickly warm up the engine. A short in that system could cause the valve to close when it's not supposed to or a bad actuator would hold it closed after warm-up. With it closed the valve is keeping the exhaust from flowing freely and killing your power.

That is IF this is the current problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.