Weak acceleration puzzle. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weak acceleration puzzle.

I have been lurking for the last month or so trying to solve the puzzle that is my new (to me) truck. I just got a 97 PSD crew cab, automatic with 4.10 gears and it is a serious dog; I mean scared to pull out on highway with out a mile of open road dog. I have cleaned the EBPV tube, the FPR screen, changed the oil, and fuel filter. I have unhooked and rehooked the MAP sensor and EBPV solenoid. The truck starts great and sounds silk smooth at idle. But lacks any take off power and seems to drag through the RPM range until it hits ~2200 RPM where it seems to blaze all the way to 3k. If you stop on a hill and take off it slowly climbs the hill until the higher RPMs where it starts to move and then up shifts and I'm back at little to no acceleration. Other than exhaust and a new RIffRaff intake the truck is stock with 212xxx. Now today I after I got home and turned the key off I heard a whooshing coming from the exhaust for a couple of seconds that reminds me of what the stuck EBPV sounds like, but it does not sound like that when the truck is running. The only smoke the truck puts out is some black smoke when you swat the throttle in Park. The truck has not put out any computer codes either.

I also have a 96 PSD with an open K&N filter, exhaust, and 3.55 gears. It is just a long bed single cab to compare to the crew cab and it runs circles around my "new" one and it has 267xxx on it.

Thanks for any more insight as I am at a loss at what to look at next. Unfortunately, I do not have any gauges to check fuel pressure or boost, so my next move is to take it to the dealership to have them hook it up and see what they find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Banned

You say the truck is slow until 2200rpms... Welcome to owning a v-series diesel. They lack a bit in off-the-line torque, but really scream in high rpms. A chip and 1.0 exhaust housing will bring torque down closer to 1500rpms and offset the lower initial torque. Your truck sound like a normal OBS stroke though. They are slow stock.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's more than that ^^^^ if it feels that different from your regular cab truck. What exhaust mod(s)? Just the downpipe, or did you remove the kitty cat? Does it sound different from your other truck, exhaust-wise?

With a 6637 and a downpipe, you should really be able to hear the turbo whine, even with moderate acceleration. Are you hearing it? Maybe you need to hook up a real-time data reader and see what it's doing out on the road; check MAP (to determine boost), exhaust back pressure, injection pressure, etc.

Dumb question, maybe, but did you change the oil when you bought the truck?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:39 PM

The regular cab has a short exhaust that comes out at the cab. The crew cab comes all the way behind the rear wheel. So, I assume the exhaust will always have a different sound since it has a longer travel. There are no cats on either truck. And yes changed the oil. I can hear some turbo whine with a little acceleration. Are the real time readers able to check everything (boost, fuel pressure, exhaust pressure, ect.)?
Old 07-06-2012, 04:06 AM
Banned

w/ my 5" exhaust you can REALLY hear the turbo just putting around town... is that the case for you?
Old 07-06-2012, 04:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Nothing (besides an in-line mechanical gauge sender) will read fuel pressure, since it's mechanical. Boost is basically MAP minus BARO (absolute pressure in the manifold minus ambient barometric pressure). Exhaust back pressure is a PCM input, so yes, it's available. Oil temp is also; coolant temp is not (not a PCM input).
Old 07-06-2012, 05:45 AM

I'll try to post a video today of the acceleration and turbo sound today.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:39 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWmz...e_gdata_player
Old 07-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Banned

You marked the video as private bud. Make it public.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:58 AM

Public now. Sorry about that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.