new to me 7.3 psd overheating - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new to me 7.3 psd overheating

So i picked up 95 f350 long bed crew cab ps today! but on the ride home it was overheating popped the hood and heard hissing from the res cap so replaced that and it got much better no more going into the red buuuuuuut im still getting like 3/4 of the way up. the level of the coolant is fine after i added 5 gallons. seems like tstat is working.
is it normal for the upper rad hose to be empty when it cools down? it has pressure after driving it for awhile but once it cools down its bone dry. im no expert but air in the system is no good right?
the needle goes up to about the end of the word normal on the gauge is that normal?
thanks for any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 06-23-2012, 07:20 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 5,201
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm88 View Post
So i picked up 95 f350 long bed crew cab ps today! but on the ride home it was overheating popped the hood and heard hissing from the res cap so replaced that and it got much better no more going into the red buuuuuuut im still getting like 3/4 of the way up. the level of the coolant is fine after i added 5 gallons. seems like tstat is working.
is it normal for the upper rad hose to be empty when it cools down? it has pressure after driving it for awhile but once it cools down its bone dry. im no expert but air in the system is no good right?
the needle goes up to about the end of the word normal on the gauge is that normal?
thanks for any replies!
Bad radiator caps do not cause overheating, they allow an increase in pressure which raises your boiling point. Thermostat, water pump, clogged radiator, or fan clutch is your problem. your fan clutch should spin freely when cold, it should have some resistance after it gets hot. Start with a thermostat, it is cheap. When you do that, see what the coolant looks like, and go from there. Don't keep running it like that. Your truck is telling you something is wrong, why run it to failure?

Sent from my SCH-I500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 06-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is it normal for the upper hose to be empty when the truck is cold though? I was thinking it could just be air in the system


Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 06-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 5,201
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm88 View Post
Is it normal for the upper hose to be empty when the truck is cold though? I was thinking it could just be air in the system


Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Probably not, try running it in the yard at idle with the heater on high and open the coolant cap. Then add coolant as necessary. Before you start, check the tension on the fan clutch, then watch it when you start it up. It should be spinning slowly. the only way to have air in the system is if most of the coolant was drained for some reason and the heater was not operating after the coolant was put back in. usually the air will eventually work out and the coolant level will drop.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 06-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think that's what happened because I did add the 5 gal of coolant and I didn't turn the heater on because I forgot because I was on the side of the fwy. How long should it take at idle to get hot enough to open the tstat? Is been idling for about 20 min and it didn't move any significant amount


Sent from my iPad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 06-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can I drive around with the cap loose? Maybe like that I'll reach temp


Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 06-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 5,201
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm88 View Post
Can I drive around with the cap loose? Maybe like that I'll reach temp


Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Drive it around easily, get it up, then ease the cap off slowly at the house. Be careful.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 06-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 274
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm88 View Post
I think that's what happened because I did add the 5 gal of coolant and I didn't turn the heater on because I forgot because I was on the side of the fwy. How long should it take at idle to get hot enough to open the tstat? Is been idling for about 20 min and it didn't move any significant amount


Sent from my iPad
if your adding 5 gal of coolant on the side of the hwy you have another issue. Water pump could be shot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 06-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 5,201
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zROCK View Post
if your adding 5 gal of coolant on the side of the hwy you have another issue. Water pump could be shot?
This is true, I didn't see that post earlier. Why were you adding 5 gal of coolant on the side of the road?

Sent from my SCH-I500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 06-29-2012, 04:10 AM
Banned
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC/Buff, NY/Midlothian, VA
Posts: 5,630
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Make sure to remove the water from the system and run the correct stuff... these motors need special coolan or the cylinders will become porous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors