97 PCM Acting Up? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 97 PCM Acting Up?

I have a friend who used to live up here calling for some advice, and I am coming up empty right now and was hoping someone else out there could chime in.

He has a 97 7.3 with Manual Tranny, that recently developed a no-start condition. It was towed to a local dealer and they eventually arrived at a PCM problem due to evidence of corrosion. They say that if they gently tap the PCM with a hammer, it will consistently allow the truck to crank. My friend has since ordered a PCM from an auto parts warehouse, had it installed and NOTHING, and based on the Ford dealership saying it must be defective, he sent it back to get a replacement from the same company, which just arrived and is also doing nothing, while the original will still allow the truck to start if you give it a sharp rap with a hammer.

I am going to try to set my friend up with an account here at the org so he can respond to this thread and eliminate the middle man as soon as possible, however wanted to get people's mental gears turning as soon as possible. I/He will post the PCM calibration codes as soon as we can find them. Apparently no fuses have been blown so far, at least none on the truck anyhow The dealership also says they have determined the PCM is getting power...

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

How does the wiring and pins on the PCM connector look? I think I'd be looking there too. Is the wait-to-start light coming on? Is the CEL illuminated? Cheers!
Old 06-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanEngineer View Post
They say that if they gently tap the PCM with a hammer, it will consistently allow the truck to crank.
Maybe you mean it allows it to _start_. It should crank even with NO PCM installed.

Quote:
My friend has since ordered a PCM from an auto parts warehouse, had it installed and NOTHING, and based on the Ford dealership saying it must be defective, he sent it back to get a replacement from the same company, which just arrived and is also doing nothing, while the original will still allow the truck to start if you give it a sharp rap with a hammer.
With the aftermarket PCM, does the WTS light come on? Does the Check Engine light blink super-quick (like, 1/10 second) when you turn the key to RUN? Does the tach respond when you turn the key to START? Any white smoke?

And just to be sure, is it def. the PCM the dealer is talking about, and not the IDM? The IDMs are known to flake out when they get water in them.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Unpremium Member

I'd also look at the relays by the airbox. They can create similar symptoms when they are approaching death. IIRC, #1 and/or #2 are the ones.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Is the dealership tapping inside the fender or behind the parking brake?
Old 06-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Premium Member

Update

Well, I spoke with my Friend on Friday night, he should be able to start posting as soon as he gets back to a computer Monday-ish. In the meantime I am going to relay his message to me here for everyone (at bottom)

The above questions are very much appreciated (WTS light, CEL light, and Relays) - Also will try to find out the answers to the questions about condition of the pcm plug, and the physical location of the tapping with the hammer - should find something out tomorrow (Monday) along with the answer from Cardone (see below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
Maybe you mean it allows it to _start_. It should crank even with NO PCM installed.
- Yes you are correct: meant allows it to start.

His message below:
"I appreciate the help on troubleshooting the PCM. I called Cardone to see if I was getting the correct PCM and they said they would cross reference it with the Ford OEM part number. Ford part number is F7TZ-12A650-SB. Autopartswarehouse has sent me 2 PCM's. They sent me Cardone Part number: 78-7066. The Ford diesel mechanic says these two PCM's may be the wrong part since I did not give my VIN and mileage to the autowarehouseparts representative when I ordered the PCM.

I am attempting to cross-reference the Cardone part number with the Ford part number. Cardone is closed on the weekend, so I will have to wait until Monday unless someone else has an idea? "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.