will not start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
will not start

I have a 95 F-250 4x4. Truck will turn over when you hit key, but it will not start. Truck has sat for 12 days I got home and this is what is going on. My friend drove it 12 days ago no problem, ran and started fine. Any ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Make sure your batteries are fully charged and your getting at least 10.5 volts when cranking to the ecm. If its not that then you can check to see if you have fuel or fuel pressure by draining your fuel filter housing and crank your engine over and see if it fills back up. If its not that then you need to check your high pressure oil pump reservior and see if it has oil in it. Should be at least 1 inch from top. There is a pipe plug with an allen screw head pull that to look at the level.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also, check the fuses under the hood on the left fender well, and look at the tachometer to see if it is registering engine RPM while cranking.

#22 fuse is the fuel heater which also powers the engine computer. If it is blown the most common cause is the fuel heater shorted against the fuel filter housing. Fuel heater is a wire loop attached to the bottom of the fuel bowl under the fuel filter inside the fuel filter housing. If the fuse is blown, unplug the heater (plug on the side of the filter bowl/housing), replace the fuse and try to start.

If the tach does not show any RPM it indicates the cam position sensor may have failed. Ford has come out with an updated part that costs under $30 (often under $20) so this is not the expense it was when the sensors were over $100. To replace, you will need a 10mm socket or wrench, a large screwdriver or prybar and about 10 minutes of time. Lie down under the truck a bit to the passenger side and look up between the engine and radiator. The cam position sensor is located at about the 10:00 position around the big pulley on the front of the crankshaft. Unplug the wire from the sensor, remove the 10mm bolt holding the metal clip that secures the sensor (these can get a bit stiff at times, be careful not to break the head off the bolt), use the prybar GENTLY to work the sensor out (it is plastic, has an O ring to seal it) and reverse to install the new one.

If this does not get you going the following is a no start checklist I came across some time ago that may help. I did not write it, I came across it on the net several years ago - it has a lot of good information.

Quote:
No Start check list:

What I will show you is a rough draft of the sheet that the technician’s use to go by when they have a hard start / no start concern. This sheet has to be filled out under a warranty claim or will be kicked back to the dealer. I’m going to add some of my comments to each one. So sit back and enjoy the ride, that is if you get your truck started. They have changed the order of the steps as the years went on but the sheet is basically the same from 94 1/2 to 01.

#1 Visual engine/Chassis Inspection

Fuel,Oil,Coolant,Electrical

Comment: Just a basic check over for anything out of the ordinary.

#2 Check Engine Oil Level

Contaminants,Correct grade / Viscosity/ Miles / hours on Oil,Correct level,level in High Pressure Pump reservoir

Comments: This has got to be the most over looked problem on the powerstroke. I have seen technician’s spend hour after hour looking for a problem, just to find it was low on oil.

#3 Intake/Exhaust Restriction

Inspect air filter /ducts-exhaust system and back pressure valve.

Comments: I have seen a lot of squished tail pipes on buses. The air cleanerhousing has a filter minder (restriction gauge) on it. A plugged air filter could cause a lot of problems. I have also seen the back pressure valve come on uncommanded. What caused this you asked, the back pressure regulator was bad.

#4 Sufficient Clean fuel

Check fuel tanks/Drain sample from fuel filter while cranking. If possible ask customer if the water in fuel or fuel filter (restriction) lamp has come on.

Comments: If there is anything a powerstroke hates it’s water. If there is a lot of water in the fuel filter housing it could corrode the heater apart and end up by shorting out on the housing causing a fuse to blow. If that happens you could have a no start condition. If you are trying to drain the fuel filter housing and nothing is coming out, you could crack open the cover a little or crank the engine over, it doesn’t need to start.

#5 Tandem Fuel Pump Pressure

Measure fuel pressure at the shrader valve located on the regulator block. It must have a minimum of 100 RPM cranking speed for 20 seconds and if it has dual tanks it should be checked on both tanks.

Comments: If the pressure is below cranking spec the fuel filter should be replaced first and retest.

#6 Perform KOEO On Demand Test

Use The NGS Tester to check for codes.A pass Code is P1111

Comments: NGS stands for (New Generation Star) tester. KOEO stands for (Key on Engine off). This test is used to determine if the PCM (Powertrain Control module) has detected any fault conditions. If a fault is detected a diagnostic trouble code should be set.

#7 Retrieve Continuous Trouble Codes

Diagnostic Codes retrieved during this test are historical faults. Pass Code P1111.

Comments: The purpose of this is to determine if the PCM has detected any historical or intermittent fault conditions. The condition that caused a continuous code may no longer exist. In this test function there is a button to clear codes. This will clear all the codes unless its a hard fault (meaning happening right now) code. I have seen tech’s clear the codes in the Continuous mode and then check for codes in the other mode’s not knowing that they cleared them.

#8 KOEO Injector Electrical Self Test

Use the NGS tester. Pass Code P1111. All injectors will momentarily buzz, then individual injectors will buzz in sequence 1 through 8. Diagnostic codes will be transmitted after the test is completed.

Comments: The test will not always pick up a weak injector. What I do is listen to the sounds of the buzzing, usually a problem injector sounds quieter than the rest.

#9 NGS Tool- Data List Monitoring

NGS tester may reset below 9.5 volts. Select the parameters indicated from the NGS parameter list and monitor while cranking. The pid’s are V PWR (vehicle power ) meaning batteries. RPM (revolutions per minute). ICP ( injection control pressure) and FUEL PW (pulse width). V PWR - Cranking spec is 7 volt minimum. If V PWR indicates low voltage, check battery volt, charging system or power. Circuits grounds to PCM.

RPM- low RPM could be an indication of starting/charging system problems. No RPM indicated with the engine cranking- could be CMP circuit fault, check for diagnostic trouble codes.

ICP- a minimum of 500 PSI(3.4 mpa) is required before the injectors are enabled. No or low oil in the reservoir, system leakage, faulty IPR or high pressure pump could cause pressure loss.

NOTE: CMP signal is required before ICP pressure is allowed above 800 PSI.

FUEL PW- No fuel demand command signal(0 ms ) when ICP, RPM and V PWR signals are correct usually indicated loss of CMP sync signal.(Check for trouble codes and check CMP circuit)

Comments: Obviously without an NGS tester you won’t be able to perform these checks, but this is a quick way for a technician to see what circuit is having the problem. The CMP ( camshaft position sensor) is located in the front cover of the engine and is one of the sensors that causes the most problems. The CMP sensor is a hall effect sensor used to indicate engine speed and camshaft position. They have also been through a lot of upgrades since the engine first came out.

#10 Glow Plug System Operation

Check voltage between the glow plug relay terminal with the single black/red wire and battery ground. If no voltage present, repair open in supply circuit(two fusible link wires connected to starter relay). Check voltage between the glow plug relay terminal with the two brown wires and battery ground. Turn key to the run position, measure ‘ON’ time. Verify sufficient glow plug ‘ON’ time. If no voltage present, replace glow plug relay. 9-12 volts relay on time the spec is 10 to 120 seconds. NOTE: Wait to Start Lamp ‘ON’ time is Independent from Glow Plug Relay ‘ON’ time.

Glow Plug Operation: Measure Glow Plug Resistance to Batt. Ground, Remove all glow plug/injector connectors and measure GP Harness Resistance to Relay. Spec for glow plug to ground is .1 to 2 ohms. Spec for connector to relay is 0 to 1 ohms.

Comments: Nine out of ten times the glow plug relay is the cause of a hard start and I believe it should be checked second behind checking the oil on the check list. The latest hard start sheets move this test up depending on engine temperature. When checking for a glow plug problem pay careful attention to the harness end and connectors for burnt wires.
Dave / Believer45

Last edited by Believer45; 10-06-2007 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:47 PM

I have a 95 psd an I tried putting a edge programer on it an aparently it wasnt the wright one for my truck so I unpluged it an now it wont start???????

Last edited by stevenson; 09-26-2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 09-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you reprogram the truck to stock before you unplugged?
Old 09-27-2009, 02:53 PM

I plugged it in it told me to turn ignition on off couple of times then threw an error code an that's it it never said erasing stock codes or ant thing. an now my wait to start wont come on an the truck wont start up. could that programmer have fried my computer? or maybe just erased my computer some how?
Old 09-27-2009, 03:03 PM

Will a 97s ecm work in my 95
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.