99 F-350 7.3L Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 F-350 7.3L Issues

Hey all new guy here, not just to this site but to the wonderful world of diesel as well. I have been combing this site for several days now and I can't seem to find anything particular that is causing a diesel engine epiphany. Soooo I am going to post what I am hoping is not one of those common new guy questions. If it is I'm sorry. Anyway, my truck...99 F-350 7.3L Lariat CC LB 4x4. It is lifted and has some sort of six position chip in it. I'm not sure of the brand. I bought this truck knowing that there was some work to do on it but the guy obviously neglected to tell me everything that was wrong with it. First off, I have a constant service engine soon light. Once in a great while it will shut off and then come back on (while driving) I had it checked for codes and there was nothing. Can the transmission cause the light as well? This kinda leads into my next question. The truck accelerates strong but occasionally the transmissions will do this crazy upshift downshift thing several times, when under hard acceleration, before it settles into gear. when it is in a higher gear and I accelerate (such as on the hiway) the engine either starts running rough or the drive train is vibrating. This will happen until I press on the pedal hard enough for it to downshift or I let off of the accelerator. I have been through the drive shaft and tightened all of the bolts, replace the carrier bearing and checked all of the u-joints. I can't figure it out. I am really hoping that it's not the tranny. It's possible that the drive shaft could be out of balance but I don't see how it would cause that much of a shudder that isn't constant. I have other questions but this vibration/rough running is my most pressing right at the moment. Thanks for taking the time to read my book...

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Posted in the wrong forum

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 05-28-2012, 07:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does it run rough when idling or only under a load
Old 05-28-2012, 08:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Reason i ask us i had an ussue with the under valve cover injector harness that cause a similar problem but it would run rough at idle intermittently also. If it werent for the rough running, id guess your torque converter was having an issue...although a worse case scenario could be you are having two separate issues.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:23 PM
BANNED by Kris

Hey and welcome to PSO. Lots of us new guys to the forum but everyone here is pretty friendly and willing to help.

Does the truck act this way in all the different settings of the 6-position chip (careful as one setting might just be a high idle setting and if in gear might pull you into traffic)?

When the truck acts up is it smoking?

Does the truck have gauges (ie EGT, Trans Temp, Boost and the like not part of the standard gauge cluster) and if so what are they reading when the truck acts up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.