vacuum pump - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question vacuum pump

Driving to work this morning, my truck tossed the serpentine belt. At work i put on a new one and started it up. i noticed that the tensioner pulley is part melted and the vacuum pump is locked up tight. Can anybody tell me what all tools i need to replace the pump tomorrow? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
just basic hand tool and a puller for the pully, its not that big a job, getting the pully swapped over is the hardest part.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How do I replace the ****ing vacuum pump?

The bolts holding it are 9.8 mm, right between 3/8" (=24/64") and 10mm (=25/64"). They are tight, and the pulley is in the way. I tried filing a 3/8" to the right size, still won't do it. I've never used a pulley removal tool, I imagine I have to apply it from the front of the pulley, which means I need the pump off first. Help!!!
Old 10-06-2007, 01:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Most part chain stores offer tool "rental" (you "buy" the tool, use it and "return" it, all with permission of the store) or can even pull the pulley off the old pump and install on the new pump at the counter. When you take the bolts out to remove the vacuum pump you will see one that will not come out of the mounting ear until the pulley is off the pump shaft. You need to put it in the mounting ear hole on the new pump BEFORE you put the pulley on the new pump - go ahead, ask me how I know (I got experience doing the pulley one day, LOL).

It is a pretty simple job, not much required. If you get one of the package store aftermarket parts they can be slightly more prone to failure as a reman but many carry a lifetime warranty. I went with a Ford part Feb 14 of 2001 when mine locked up on the way to work and have had no troubles since. I even had a Ford Truck dealership do the work - I needed it done while at work, it was winter and I was 24 miles from home without tools, the dealership was 2 miles from work. I now carry tools most all the time.

Ford part at that time was F4TZ*2A451*A, the cost installed was $321.70 including a new belt so you can save quite a bit of money doing it yourself. Mine seized less than a week after I replaced the belt and took it out as well, make sure to take a GOOD look at the belt you just put on if you started the truck with the seized vacuum pump and replace if there is any damage.

I know this is a bit late and hopefully you have not been down for a week but I just saw the post, being a newbie here.

Dave / Believer45

Last edited by Believer45; 10-06-2007 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Vacuum pump

Thanks, Dave! I've decided to let a shop do the job. I figure it's a 1 hr job, not too bad. What size wrench did you use? Ford told me it's a metric bolt, I tried 10mm, but I started rounding the bolts. The bolt measures ~ 9.8mm. I think I'll just dig myself in deeper if I keep on trying.

Dag.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't recall size but I would use a six point box end wrench or a flare nut wrench to do the job, if you are using an open end wrench it is very easy to round off bolts.

Dave / Believer45
Old 10-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I used a 10mm box end and it worked like a champ. Kinda tight space tho so i used a stubby
Old 11-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Gave up on vacuum pump

I tried to remove my vacuum pump bolts (10mm), but gave up and took it to the shop. No, not the dealership. Their service dept there quoted me $340 for the pump, which I had bought at their own parts dept 2 weeks earlier for $200!! Unless you know a couple of tricks for undoing stuck bolts, you'll have a difficult time getting them off. Maybe a 3/8" 6-point, and file it to fit the bolt head exactly. Or a high-quality 10mm. My 6-point 10mm ended up rounding the bolts.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:39 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via MSN to skip97IH Send a message via Yahoo to skip97IH
I just changed the vaccum pump on my '97. I used a 10mm gear wrench to remove the bolts. The other tools needed are a power steering pump pulley remonal tool and installer it takes about 45 minutes from start to finish. Remeber to put the bolts bak into the new pump before installing the pulley on to the new pump
Old 11-30-2007, 06:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Vacuum pump tools

A 10 mm C-wrench for the 3 mounting bolts for the pump, which may be hard to get loose. A pulley remover - be careful, if it grabs the pulley by the edges, it might bend it. And also a pair of "plumbing" pliers, for the hose clamp. Good luck, if your pump is like mine, you'll need it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.