Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

97 7.3L Powerstroke: No start, no fuel pressure...

37K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Beeholder 
#1 ·
Went to start this the other day and wouldn't fire up, thought it was just too cold. WTS light comes on for a few seconds and goes out, turn the key and it cranks and cranks but won't fire, no smoke out the tailpipe. While cranking the oil pressure gauge moves up, but tach shows no rpm., it might move slightly, but only periodically. I changed the cam position sensor recently(grey one). HPOP oil level shows full. After much deliberation, I figured it was the fuel lift pump again, since I had replaced it the last time I posted here, thought it might be the same issue. New pump on and truck still won't fire, fuel bowl doesn't seem to fill. Got a pressure tester and hooked up to the schraeder valve on the side of the fuel bowl, cranked it over and shows no pressure.

What do I check next, and how...?

Thanks in advance, for any and all suggestions.

#2 · (Edited)
check that u have power to the selector valve when u switch from front to back.

#3 ·
Is the fuel selector valve a pump, or just a diverter? I never thought to check, presuming that it was merely a gate, always open to one tank or the other...

#4 ·
The selector is two three-way valves and an electric switch. One valve is for the fuel supply, the other is for the fuel return. The switch switches which tank drives the gauge.

Have you tried switching tanks and starting it?

'Course, this would have no bearing on the tach reading. If it's producing oil pressure, but not reading properly on the tach, it sounds like you still have a CPS issue.

#6 ·
Should there be constant voltage at the plug on the selector, to one wire or another depending on which tank is selected? I don't have voltage at any wire while the key is on.

#9 ·
Ok, so the fuse is still good... I'll have to get back underneath it this afternoon and check those wires again.

#10 ·
before you do that, change the CPS again, I also had to change the CPS sensor plug, as it went bad.....

#11 ·
I've considered that, but dismissed it due to the fact that I just replaced it last August. Would it really go bad that fast?

#12 ·
there have been instances of them being bad out of the box.....

#13 ·
cps being bad would not stop power from getting to the selector valve. cps communicates with pcm. selector valve is on a separate line. you can select different tanks without the truck being running therefore eliminating the cps.

#14 · (Edited)
how are your fuel lines? Any pin holes befor the lift pump will cause the system to pull air and the truck will not run. my sending unit on both tanks had pin holes from rust.

#15 ·
Finally got a OBD II scanner on this today. Bad computer... any suggestions on replacing the ECM, should I pay to have them replace it or is it something that is easy enough for me to fix? Where should I get a replacement?

#17 ·
Don't know what brand or model of scanner it was. Way too many codes to remember, all of which pointed to bad computer. All percentages were out of whack...

#19 ·
none of these , bad pcm, cps, etc will cause a no fuel pressure issue.

look for a broken pick up tube, or possible the new fuel pump is bad,....things like that.

#20 ·
What do I trust...? New gauge reads no pressure while cranking, yet fuel clearly squirts fuel out the drain valve when open, and out the schraeder valve while depressed by hand. OBD II scanner throws multiple codes, all of which indicate nothing is functioning properly... I might as well just start replacing haphazard parts, this is ridiculous. Nobody agrees with anything... WTF...

#21 ·
Who agrees with which brand of scanner to be reliable for pulling codes off this POS...?

#22 ·
well, according to what you posted, you said fuel bowl doesnt seem to refill, which indicates a fuel delivery problem. if fuel is spraying out of the schrader valve,when you press it, you have pressure and the fuel bowl should have fuel in it.

no scanner is going to read fuel pressure, but any any advanced scanner, snapon modis type or AutoEnginuity will read codes and monitor HPO pressures, ICP, and IPR duty cycles......

#23 · (Edited)
Scanners known to read our trucks: AeroForce ScanGauge, AutoEnginuity software, Snap-On MT2500 with the right personality chips (or whatever they're called). None of them are cheap, but any one is still cheaper than randomly throwing parts at it.

I've gotten a "ScanGauge II" (the one made by the company called ScanGauge) to read a few rudimentary things like speed and RPM, but I have a dashboard that will tell me that. Anything beyond that, any attempt to get things like EOT, MAP, etc., epically fails. Many of us have also found that if you plug a standard OBD-II scanner into a running truck and attempt to scan it for P-codes, it often stalls the engine.

#24 ·
Got the new ECC installed today, started right up. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.