Steering column rebuild question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering column rebuild question

For anyone who has rebuilt their tilt column...

New bearings are on the way from Tousley for the upper portion of my tilt steering column. The old ones were reduced to powder (literally). I had to pry what was left of the old bearings out of the upper column housing, but the seats look good.

My question is: Do the new bearings need to be pressed in or should they slide into place and seat themselves when I put the shaft/thrust washer/spring and clip back in?

I just don't want to screw up the new ones and have to wait another week for them to get shipped in. Thanks all...

Last edited by Mysocks4; 03-15-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Mini-Stroke...
Did you ever get an answer? I need to do this to mine as well..
Old 04-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I never got an answer, but it was easier than I thought. Some tips for you -

1. Try to do the job all in one day. Its about a 3-4 hour deal; taking it all apart, inspecting and rebuilding it. I did mine over a three week period and forgot a couple of things, had to take it apart once or twice.
2. When you remove the ignition cylinder from the column housing, make sure you indicate (mark) the location of the teeth on the gear as it relates to the ignition release/ slide bar.
3. Be careful when you remove the old bearings (or what is left of them) from the column housing. Try not to gouge the seats they sit in.
4. Use only Ford parts. The guys at Tousley are awesome and will help you get the right stuff the first time. I could not afford a new shaft or upper column housing, so I grabbed those out of the bone yard (for 30 bucks!).
5. Use assembly lube on all moving parts (bearings, actuators, ect).
6. When installing the new bearings, gently tap them in. I used pieces of pvc and sockets that were a perfect fit around the outside edges of the new bearings.
7. Be very patient, go slow and your truck will steer like it did when it came off of the assembly line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.