Need Advice: Turbo Pedestal and ISP sensor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Loopers
Need Advice: Turbo Pedestal and ISP sensor

We recently took our truck (97 F350 PSD) to the local Ford house because we noticed a huge decrease in fuel mileage. They "ran diagnostics" and said we need to replace the "turbo pedestal (waste gate) and the ISP Sensor and Connector". The quote was really high. They also said this could be just the beginning, maybe suggesting that the injectors were going out.

My husband LOVES his truck and has no intentions on replacing with a newer model. He and I are very mechanically inclined and can fix pretty much anything. We are not exactly sure which parts they are referring to when they talk about these two items. How do we know what to buy and replace? Are we jumping knee high into deep stuff? Can anyone show me the parts via a link or something and tell me where to find instructions on how to replace?

Note: This truck only has 180k miles on it and it has been properly kept. He has maintained the truck well.

Thank you for any help and/or guidance you can provide.

Wendy Looper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2007, 09:58 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I suggest you get a different shop to look at the truck. I would go to an independent Diesel Shop.

What is the truck doing. What fuel mileage are you getting right now. To say you need all that stuff and possibilly injectors. Makes me think they are wanting money. I mean it is possible that some of that is bad but to have all of it bad with 180,000 on the clock. Just don't seem right what mods do you have done to the truck. Do you have gauges in it. Pyrometer, Boost gauges. I ask because wastegate ISP and connector. Those could cause low boost issues which could cause poor fuel mileage. But bad injectors could make the whole engine perform poorly.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via MSN to Loopers
Poor fuel mileage, about 8 miles to the gallon - in the morning you can hear the turbo pressuring off and will not run over 20 miles an hour - feeling like it doesn't have as much power as it used (when loaded down with deer blinds, stands, campers, all the deer lease stuff he carries back and forth). Mods are downpipe and removed cadilatic converter and muffler and K&N air filter. No gauges.

We are worried about burning up the piston if we continue to drive. But we don't want to fork out $1800 for something that might be fixed with something else.

Thank you.
Wendy
Old 09-14-2007, 10:41 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Ok that is poor fuel mileage. As well as poor performance. I suggest you have a compression test, injector contribution test, and a diagnostic system check done. I am not the expert on this so lets see if we can get some techs to chime in on this.

I will say this, remove the intake from the turbo and look at the turbo itself. You will want to be looking at the turbo wheel it has fins on it. See if those are damaged at all. Also grab ahold of the turbo wheel and see if it has excessive play as well. This is a sign of a turbo being bad. You will want to attempt to move the turbo wheel up/down/left/right.

Last edited by bigcountrysg; 09-14-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:18 AM

No wastegate on a 97 Powerstroke. There is however a Exhaust Back Pressure Valve or EBPV. If it is not operating properly it may be contributing to your problems. EBPV closes when it is cold to allow the engine to warm up quicker. The actuator rod extends out of the turbo pedestal and connects to the valve linkage. I don't deal with cold temps much so I deleted mine completely. You might want to watch the rod when you start the truck in the morning to see if it does in fact open the EBPV. The EBPV is on the exhaust side of the turbo between the turbo and the down pipe. If it does not open a simple quick fix is to disconnect the rod from the valve linkage and wire it open.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:09 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Sounds like a stuck EBPV. Check to see if it is opperating, as mentioned above. If so, have the cylinder contribution and injector buzz tests done. Also, does the truck smoke, and will it rev up with no load?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.