1996 PSD Trouble Starting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2007, 05:12 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1996 PSD Trouble Starting

Hello. I am new to the Powerstroke Diesel world, and I just recently purchased my first diesel. I have 1996 F250 7.3L PSD with the manual tranny and 133k miles on it. I have been driving the truck for about a month now with no problems. The truck had a fresh oil change when I bought it using Rotella 15-40 and I installed a new fuel filter about 1000 miles ago.

When I went outside this morning, it took me about 5 minutes to get the truck to crank. It would turn over, but it would never start. After trying several times and cycling the key on and off a few times, the truck started right up. I have heard alot of things to check from reading on the forums here, but am not sure how to do alot of this. Except for this morning, the only other problem I have had is the truck stumbled a little one day (stopped running, WTS and CEL flashed, and the truck turned back on after I released the gas pedal), but this hasn't happened again since I replaced the fuel filter. Otherwise, the truck runs great, doesn't smoke, and averages about 20-21 mpg mostly highway driving. The truck is stock except for a 3.5" downpipe back straight pipe.

Is this a possible Cam Position Sensor issue? What other things should I check, and where can I find some details on doing this?

Thanks for the help
-Forrest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2007, 05:54 AM
Rice Hunter

aboard! Hope ya get her fixed....Here's a BUMP
Old 09-14-2007, 05:56 AM
Jon

CEL

I would like to see if there are any codes in it and what they are. If the cel came on it will have a code in it. That would be a good place to start.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump1986 View Post
Hello. I am new to the Powerstroke Diesel world, and I just recently purchased my first diesel. I have 1996 F250 7.3L PSD with the manual tranny and 133k miles on it. I have been driving the truck for about a month now with no problems. The truck had a fresh oil change when I bought it using Rotella 15-40 and I installed a new fuel filter about 1000 miles ago.

When I went outside this morning, it took me about 5 minutes to get the truck to crank. It would turn over, but it would never start. After trying several times and cycling the key on and off a few times, the truck started right up. I have heard alot of things to check from reading on the forums here, but am not sure how to do alot of this. Except for this morning, the only other problem I have had is the truck stumbled a little one day (stopped running, WTS and CEL flashed, and the truck turned back on after I released the gas pedal), but this hasn't happened again since I replaced the fuel filter. Otherwise, the truck runs great, doesn't smoke, and averages about 20-21 mpg mostly highway driving. The truck is stock except for a 3.5" downpipe back straight pipe.

Is this a possible Cam Position Sensor issue? What other things should I check, and where can I find some details on doing this?

Thanks for the help
-Forrest
CPS is a cheap test ,, Make sure all the battery & starter connections are clean & tight,,,May have the batts load tested & starter & alternator tested also..It will be easier to figure out what is wrong , when the problem begins to occur on a regular basis.....

Last edited by Action Rick; 09-15-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:00 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

because the check engine light came on , you need to have codes pulled , its possible to have cam sensor , but the first thing to know about diesels is you dont make a guess at a repair , always do diagnosis first , parts can get expensive , any way , need to see if glow plug relay is working , make sure oil is full , one easy way to see if glow plug system is at fault is to plug it in tonite and see if it cranks fine in the morning , if it does you may have a glow plug problem
Old 09-14-2007, 06:22 AM

Thanks for the help everyone. I will try plugging it in tonight and see what happens.

This is the second time it has been hard to start like this. Both times have have been after it has been sitting longer than usual. Usually, I'm home at 7pm and leave at 5 AM. The two times it has been hard to start, the truck has not been cranked for a day or a day and half. Not sure if this would have any effect, but I wanted to mention it anyways.

As far as the engine missing, my friend has a Snap on scanner, so I will get him to pull the codes for it this weekend.

I
Old 09-14-2007, 06:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to WILLIAM LORCH
My '94 does about the same thing, wen it has sat 4 a bit it starts right off dies than takes a bit of cranking. Been doing this for years now... It is the HPOP drainning down because of sitting. These engines start by forcing the injector's 2 operate, than shift (4 he lack of a better word),to normal operating mode ... the olnyway i know to be sure if it is something like this is remove the oil plug on hte top of the resvour of hte HPOP and look in it should be around 1/4 in from hte top.... <<<<<<<BILL>>>>>>>>
Old 09-14-2007, 06:33 AM

this is probably a stupid question, but i am new to powerstrokes. where is the reservoir located? if it is low, can i just top it off?
Old 09-14-2007, 06:43 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump1986 View Post
this is probably a stupid question, but i am new to powerstrokes. where is the reservoir located? if it is low, can i just top it off?
you can top it off, but as soon as it sits again , it will drain back down if thats your problem
Old 09-14-2007, 06:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to WILLIAM LORCH
The hpop resvor is at hte very front of the engine on the top it looks like a rectangle!!!! on the rihgt side of the rectangle (Looking at it)( drivers side) there is a plug takes a 1/4 in extension inserted in it. yes you can top it off ,it should stay full however they leek down, and i dont think tihs is something to be overly concerned with. In real cold weather mine takes about 2 or 3 trys ie staring than shut down.... Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.