Starving for fuel??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 06:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starving for fuel???

Hey guys,
A few weeks ago I was coming home from a weekend trip to the Glamis sand dunes (which btw, the Military 37s did AWESOME in the dunes), leaving a border patrol checkpoint when the truck acted like it was running out of fuel. I was on the rear tank (a new 38gal one) at 1/2 tank of fuel. I pulled over with it still stumbling when the truck shut down. I thought maybe all the bouncing around in the dunes might of gotten the float stuck somehow, so I switched the tanks, and after 20 seconds or so of cranking, VOILA the truck started. Drove fine the rest of the 200 mile trip home.
So I drove around on the front tank until I finally had time to inspect the rear. Problem was there was AT LEAST half a tank of fuel still in, so I quickly said forget pulling it down. I switched back to the rear tank, started the truck, and ran around all weekend... Maybe 30 miles or so, before the truck did the exact same thing, acting like it was starving for fuel.
This time, I was able to switch tanks before it died, ran, and switched back, and it hasnt done it for the last 20 miles or so.
Do you guys have any idea what it could be? I was trying to find a diagram of how the fuel selector motor works, but haven't had any luck yet( I was thinking possibly a relay going bad?) Any input is appreciated! Thanks again guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 06:55 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
run the tank down to E then drop it and then remove the tank. I would bet your fuel sock on the pick up tube may need replacing.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:57 PM

I have probably less than 4000 miles on the strainer in the rear tank. Do you think if it was the strainer/sock it would be a constant issue?
Old 01-30-2012, 07:13 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangflyer View Post
I have probably less than 4000 miles on the strainer in the rear tank. Do you think if it was the strainer/sock it would be a constant issue?
Well if you have less then 4000 miles on the strainer did you replace it previously or have you cleaned the tank out.

The other issue can be the switch valve between the tanks.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangflyer View Post
I will say that my 95 7.3 with around 250k started doing the same thing to me. I lifted the bed, pulled the pickup tubes and found the strainers were desintegrated and laying in pieces in the bottom of the tank. There was also about 3/4" of sludge, rust, and dirt in the bottom of the tank. I took the tanks out and cleaned and dried them and bought two new strainers. I haven't had a problem since then, 308k miles and going. If you put your hand on the switch and get someone to move the switch, you should feel and hear it click, if not check the connector first. I would also suggest disconnecting the fuel lines inlets and outlet (it is a bit messy) at the selector switch and blowing low pressure air through the valve with each tank selection to make sure you are getting proper flow. I also ruined the mechanical pump by stupidy trying to pull start it while my brother was pulling me back to the house before i did any trouble shooting. It is apparent that the problem lies in the tank pickup tube, strainer, or selector valve. hope this helps, good luck.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:46 AM

Sorry , should have included more information, the strainer was replaced roughly 4000-5000 miles ago when I upgraded to the 38 gallon tank. So the tank is new, pickup tube and strainer. This is why I was leading more towards the selector valve . Thanks for your ideas so far !
Old 02-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

check the vent tube. It could be clogged and you could be vaccum locking the tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.