'96 F-250 7.3...need advice on Tranny - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 04:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'96 F-250 7.3...need advice on Tranny

Well, I took my truck in the other day after determining the turbo had some slop in the bearing, but wanted to make sure this was what my problem was as I didn't have much power. Long story short, they replaced the oil temp sensor, coolant temp sensor, and exhaust backpressure sensor. They said the combination of all three were not telling the computer when to open the wastegate on the turbo therefore the turbo wasn't doing it's job. Said the slop in the bearing was ok and nothing to worry about, just a little tired turbo.
Well when I went to get the truck they said I needed a tranny flush. Quite possible but I have always heard that when a tranny goes it's usually right after it's flushed. The tech agreed but said if not flushed it will go anyways. The sensors they replaced didn't do anything for my lack of power, maybe a bit when I really get into it at high rpms, but my shifting still seems very high in the rpm range. The truck doesn't really pull all that well in the first couple gears, meaning it doesn't seem to have a real powerband. Would flushing the tranny help this maybe or do you think it would be detrimental and grenade it. Truck has 287k miles and lord knows how many are on the tranny. It was used to pull alot before I had it so I'm thinking maybe the shift points have been changed to really wind it up?...
I'm not afraid to spend $130 to flush the tranny if it will help, but I don't want to drop $2k into a new tranny either. I got a good deal on the truck and it has a list of new parts a mile long on it, but I don't want to drop anymore money into it right now and I'm really disappointed w/ the power that it has, or lacks.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2007, 04:54 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

You may need a second oppinion. Our trucks don't have waste gates. I'm not too good with auto, so I'll let someone else help on that. Our trucks are pretty sluggish, stock.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

about the turbo, these turbos arent bearing they r bushing and they dont have a wastegate they have watts called an EBPV( exhaust backpressure valve) if that valve is stuck closed or partly closed then thats why u dont have the power ur lacking. about the tranny, in my oopinion if its gonna go then its gonna go and a flush would only help it not hurt it. if ur looking to get more power id be careful cuz if thats the stock tranny and its been towed with it prolly about to go. just my opinion tho
Old 09-12-2007, 05:09 PM

yes, that is what he called it. A guy from work called it a wastegate. I was wanting to say exhaust backpressure dampener, but you're right. He didn't say wastegate. His story was that the EBPV was not opening because the computer didn't know what the oil temp or coolant temp was. He replaced all three sensors, one on the water pump, one on the top left of the motor along w/ the tube, and one on the top right, I'm assuming this is the oil temp sensor.
If these turbos are bushing, are they normally loud and do they normally have some slop to the turbine?...keep in mind 287k miles.

About the tranny, if I flush it do you think it will help w/ wanting to wind up,up,and up when accelerating.

Edit: I saw a thread where someone was complaining about oil in the inlet tube, just a little, mine has that too. The more I read it appears that what I'm experimenting may not be that unusual. I'm comparing my truck to my cousin's '01 F350 which would blow mine away, by a mile. It seems that everyone agrees that you don't hear the stock turbo spool up 'til 2500 rpms because of engine noise. That's about when mine spools up. Does the air intake and exhause help w/ power at all or is it more of a noise factor. Would you consider it a decent start for someone not wanting to mod the hell out of a truck just get a little more than the stock Slug?
Also, if I have someone rev up the motor will I be able to see the linkage move for the EBPV and if so at what RPM
He also said to keep an eye on my oil pressure and "hard starts" because the oil looked like it was "aerating" I believe, foamy. It's less than 500 miles on the oil he said the High pressure oil pump could be the problem. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Raymond S.; 09-12-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:51 AM

the HPOP could be where ur no power is coming from. if its nto supplyin the oil to the injectors then it doesnt have power. but that an expensive part to go and buy just to see if it fixes it, plus if it had low injector pressure it should thro a code. u might wanna try unhooking the EBPV from the turbo and seein if u can open and close it with ur hand. that way ull know if its freezed up in the housing or not.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:56 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
also the tube that leads up to the exhaust back preasure sesor is probly clogged with soot wich will make the sensor close the valve... i have had my EBPV unplugged for over a year now with out any problems
Old 09-13-2007, 01:57 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
oh and the obs trucks are dogs compaired to the superdutys
Old 09-13-2007, 02:13 AM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Have someone crank the truck while you watch the EBPV linkage. It will move right after it starts. I would disable it by unplugging the two-wire plug located just below the inlet of the compressoer housing. Drive and see if it runs better. It will not hurt anything.

A higher flowing intake and exhaust will help a lot. You will also want a 3" downpipe. The downpipe is more important than the rest of the exhaust. You can do the DIY intake, and muffler delete cheap. The downpipes are a little over $100. After you get the tranny fixed, get some gauges and a chip and have fun!
Old 09-13-2007, 03:29 AM

Thanks guys,
I should have mentioned they changed the sensor tube also. I changed the fuel pump a month or so ago and all my leaks were gone, now after changing the 3 sensors there is gas leaking again on top of the motor, seems to be right below where they changed one of the sensors. I have to give them a call on that.
After driving it again this morning I can hear the turbo right about 2500 when I'm getting after it so I think it's working alright. I think it needs a rebuild though because it is very loud, like worn out loud like a bearing, or bushing I guess in this case.
I think my next move would be a downpipe like you mentioned. I will probably get the tranny flushed and see what happens.
Best bet just to keep an eye on the oil pressure for the hpop?...Is it doing damage if it is going out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.