Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Rough Idle, White Smoke

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Jpm10indy 
#1 ·
My HPOP was at 3800 psi. Had a really rough idle and lots of white smoke. Took pump apart and there was a check ball out of place. Put it back and replaced IPR and now its back down at 800 at an idle. Problem is the truck is still running insanely rough and blowing white smoke. Had injectors tested on a flow bench and they all tested good. What do I look at now?

#2 ·
I'm sure this is not it (but the symptoms beg me to ask anyway), but there's not gasoline in the tanks is there? Cheers!

#3 ·
Yeah there was no gasoline in tanks but the injectors that came back after supposedly testing all good at accurate diesel were not all the same injectors I sent out. But it worked for about 45 minutes pretty good then its back to the white smoke. the HPOP pressure is back up and I believe the ball is back out of place inside the pummp. Has anyone ever heard of this check ball coming out of place? I am not sure where the ball is but the shop that has my truck said it had something to do with the return in the pump. They said the place it was in it should not move but it is back out again. Has anyone ever heard of this problem with an HPOP? and does this mean I need a new HPOP? because the shop charged me 1100 for everything they did and it did not fix the problem so I'm not exactly the happiest person right now. Anything helps if you have any knowledge on this HPOP system

#4 ·
Ok just now expierenced something different with truck. It is now idling rough and still blowing all the white smoke but now the HPOP pressure is at 800 after first starting but then if I let it idle for awhile it will lower all the way to 400. Not sure if this means my pump is going out. I sure hope not. But what else could be causing the rough idle and smoke? Because it still runs bad even while the HPOP pressure is normal. Help will be appreciated. Im on to doing stuff on my own now instead of taking to shop because I'm entirely out of money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.