HPOP at 3800psi Idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HPOP at 3800psi Idle

The truck is running really rough with lots of white smoke. The only thing I had done to truck was PCM tuning by DP but I do not believe the PCM is the problem because it ran a friends truck just fine. I took it to local shop and they checked PCM, IDM, IPR, ICP, CPS. The scanner showed the HPOP pressure at 3500 and we thought it may have been sensor error. So we hooked a mechanical guage directly to pump and the pump is actually pushing 2200psi at cranking and 3800psi. What could cause the pump to just run all out like this? I currently have the shop taking apart the pump to find if anything is blocked or if anything is broken. Is this a sign of the pump going out? Just need help to find something to fix truck. Any info helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Stuck IPR, restriction in the reervoir, front cover, or debris above the edge filter (either in IPR or pump depending on the year) are the only things I can think of. Cheers!
Old 01-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Already replaced the ipr and checked wires for ipr. Checked the icp as well. Took the pump apart and found no debris but a ball bearing was out of place. Put it back in place and te truck is still doing he same thing. I can unplug the ipr an icp and it's still shows 2800 psi on the mechanical gauge. Where else would anyone go from here?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Maybe this thread could help: "Runs with IPR Disconnected". In that thread, I was wondering about "gutting" a bad IPR so that it would "drain" all the time. Cheers!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Where did you put this mechanical gauge in at?
Old 01-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Into the plug on the head is where we plugged it in at. Looking for debris in front cover an reservoir now. Hoping that we find it somewhere.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

After moving check ball inside of pump back to the right spot I replaced the IPR once again and it fixed the HPOP pressure. Problem is the truck is still running rough. Though it might be injectors so I had them tested and they are all good. What is my next thing to look at? Its still running rough all the time and blowing white smoke.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
um fuel pressure?
Old 01-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

fuel pressure was 56 at idle. but I got few new injectors in it and it fixed that problem now. There was a check ball inside of pump not in right place and a new ipr fixed it. Ran good for 45 minutes. Hadn't run it hard at all. Prolly 10 miles down the road and started white smokin and running rough again. Put the gauge on it and it was at 3650 psi again so I think check ball is out of placee again. Has this ever happened to anyone else and what check ball is the shop talking about? They said it had something to do with return in the HPOP.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Now the oil pressure is back down to normal. Not sure whats going on with that. Truck is not running any better though. Still rough and white smoke. Should I go ahead and replace the pump if I can scrounge up the money to get it? What is HPOP oil pressure supposed to be during cranking and at an idle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
3800psi, hpop, mechanic, oil leak, rough

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.