Engine cuts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine cuts

Hey all, i am a member over at thedieselstop.com and I haven't had much help over there with this issue, so I thought maybe over here might have had a similar problem. Let me start by apologizing for the long post, but I am trying to get as much information as possible to you. Ok, on 6-21 I had my oil changed, first time I have ever not changed the oil myself. On or about 6-25 my truck would start cutting out almost everytime I went over a large bump. I figured that the CPS was a common issue, so I replaced it, but with no luck. Lately, the problem has become much worse. Even on a pretty smooth, straight surface, the truck will loose power, not just once, but multiple times in a row. I have deduced the computer is somehow loosing power and is resetting. My WTS light comes on, followed by a flash of the CEL. The only way to get power back is to release the accelerator pedal, until the IVS clicks, and then it resumes. This happens with cruise control on as well. On my way home for Labor Day weekend yesterday, i pulled over to see If it was anything obvious. One of my positive battery cables was very loose, so I tightened it and figured that would fix it. Nope. As soon as I got back on the freeway, the problem continued. Has anyone had a similar problem? I have looked at all the grounds that I know of and they are all tight, I have removed wiring harnesses and cleaned them, etc. etc. etc. No codes at Autozone. Please, if you have any advice or ideas, let me know.

Thanks,
Kameron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

First of all welcome to Powerstroke.org. What kind of oil was used in the oil change? Also autozones scanner won't pick up all of the codes, so if you can get it scanned with a tuner or by ford because if the ses light came on you have codes stored.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the welcome! Ok, I have a neighbor that has a Snap-On scanner I can borrow, I am just waiting on him to call me. I had the oil changed at a Ford dealership in Farmington, NM, one of the highest volume diesel truck dealers in the US. I asked them to use Rotella 15-40 and they said they did.

Dunno if it helps but here is the truck:
1997 Base model 4x4 5 speed, 7.3L Powerstroke, LUK SMF conversion 127,000 miles
Old 09-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

When is the last time you changed the fuel filter? I just throwing out the obvious stuff you probobly already checked. Get the truck scanned with the snapon scanner and post up your codes will be easier to pinpoint the problem as it could be any number of things at this point.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, fuel filter is pretty recent, past 2 months. And even if it was the fuel filter, that wouldent cause the WTS light to illuminate would it?
Old 09-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

No I wouldnt think so. Another thing to check is your fuel heater element in the fuel water seperator could be going bad. Usually it will short out though and blow fuse number 22 and you won't be able to start. Might be worth checking though
Old 09-02-2007, 05:03 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

I agree, start by checking the fuel heater element. Then check all of the wiring in the engine compartment for chafing and make sure all of the plugs in the harnesses are tight.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fuse #22 blew on me last year so my fuel bowl heater is un-plugged. All the harnesses to the PCM, the IDM (I think that's what its called) and some other wiring harness to the right of the PCM all seem tight. I was suspicious of come marks on the wires of the IDM harness, but my dad didnt think they were a problem. I will take a picture if you want and post it.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:14 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Is it in the harness going to the engine?
Old 09-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No, it is the harness going into the injector control box. I just posted a picture, sorry about the poor quality, only have my phone with me here at home. I can get a better pic once I get back to school. . . If I get back to school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.