95 Powerstroke won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 03:19 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 Powerstroke won't start

I have replaced the hpop, ipr, icp, cps, gpr, both batteries, starter, fuel pump, fuel filter, and my 1995 Powerstroke still will not start. It was starting with ether (with gpr disconnected). I could start it with ether and it would run fine as long as I ran it everyday. If I left it parked for 2 or more days I would have to hit it with ether and revive it again. Now it is to the point where it won't start even with ether. Passed on injector buzz test. 45 psi on fuel when cranking. Had access to an Actron scantool for buzz test but it would not register the ipr info because it was supposedly for 97 and above. I have noticed that it take longer for it to register oil pressure on the oil pressure gauge. It usually won't register oil pressure until the 3rd or 4th long crank.
HPOP reservoir is full. I pulled the valve cover to inspect the harnesses and none are burnt. Any ideas anybody? The truck would run fine once I started it with ether. Every once in awhile the check engine would come on and the truck would become sluggish even when trying to hammer down on it. I don't want to give up on it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 11:58 AM

My thoughts....

verify that your HPOP is putting out sufficient pressure. If not check the harness for damage.

Maybe put a mechanical gauge on the filter housing and verify your oil pressure.

Could be that the Low pressure pump is on it's way out, and the PCM won't fire the injectors if there isn't sufficient oil pressure?

Starting it on ether may have got it spinning fast enough to build sufficient oil pressure.

The gauge on the dash isn't an analog gauge, it always reads middle of the road as long as there is oil pressure.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:20 PM

Thanks. I will put a mechanical gauge on it and post the results. I recently checked the harnesses and they appeared to be in good shape. Is a low pressure oil pump a difficult do it yourself job? I did all of the other repairs myself as far as the hpop, fuel pump, wiring harnesses(couple of years ago), and a few others. Again Thanks for your help.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:23 AM

I got it started again. I poured pure Seafoam in the fuel filter housing. I hit it with ether again and it started after the fourth can of ether. The truck started and ran for five days just fine. It sputtered a few times on the last day but never stalled out. Drove it to work and parked it for about 12 hrs and it never started back up even with the Seafoam and ether. While trying to get it started I noticed the oil gauge bouncing to the midway point and back to zero several times during cranking. Still have not put a mechanical gauge on the oil filter housing. I was hoping it was cured Murphy's law always gets me. I will try the gauge on the filter housing. I also noticed that while the truck was running with a solid stream of ether that the volt/amp gauge was fluttering and it was indicating higher than normal. Thanks for the advice and I'll post results as I get them.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The lpop sounds like its crapped out or you sending unit for it has sending a no fire code to the motor due to low pressure
Old 11-01-2011, 02:46 AM

Would the level in the hpop reservoir be affected by the lpop? The level stays full. Where would the sending unit be located? I will try to do some more troubleshooting on my next days off of work. May try to change out the lpop if time permits. I will try to put a gauge on lpop pressure. I really appreciate all of your help. I will post any results.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ir the reservoir is full then this is not the issue. A quick and messy way to check this is to take the plug out of the reservoir and turn the motor over. if oil shoots out then your lpop is working
Old 11-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BLACKSTROKE View Post
While trying to get it started I noticed the oil gauge bouncing to the midway point and back to zero several times during cranking.
Is this still happening? That is sounding like a lube oil pressure problem. That "gauge" is actually just an idiot light that's a needle instead of a light. It either reads all the way left, or just right of center, based on a threshold pressure (just like an oil light). Sounds like your lube oil pump is generating pressure that's right about at that threshold, which may not be enough to get the HPOP to provide sufficient high pressure. AFAIK those pumps are supposed to provide pretty-much constant (not "rhythmic", like the fuel lift pump) pressure while the crankshaft is turning. The pulsing of the pressure might (MIGHT) mean something wrong with the LPOP. But indeed, before just replacing it, I'd get a gauge on it, then do some research as to whether fluctuating pressure while cranking is normal, or is a sign of failure.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:07 PM

It is still happening. I am gathering some tools and materials and will be doing some more troubleshooting on Tuesday. I'll check the oil pressure and post the results. Thanks for your advice and especially your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.