First time poster as well as first time diesel owner. I’m a greenhorn!
I’ve read quite a few threads to try to educate myself prior to posting so that I can give you as much detailed information as possible. Here’s my problem….
My truck won't start. Here's what I've done.
· Checked HPO reservoir. It was just about empty. Refilled
· Did oil change. Only 10 quarts drained out.
· Changed fuel filter (bowl was full) filter was black & slimy.
· Checked fuel pressure off Schrader valve, built to 53 psi while cranking.
· 12.5 V on batteries, although I haven't checked while cranking; will do in AM.
· Tach reads 200-300 while cranking; Does this rule out CPS??
· Checked all fuses both under hood & dash.
· Swapped relays with #3 (Horn) to verify all working.
· Checked HPO reservoir & the level is holding.
· 11.5 volts at IPR.
· 5.1 volts at ICP.
· Disconnected ICP & tried cranking. No start
· Borrowed an OBDII code reader from AutoZone; No codes.
I've cranked the heck out of this thing for 20 seconds at a time while waiting two minutes in between so as not to fry my starter. There is no smoke from tail pipe.
I’m thinking back to the empty HPO reservoir… No Pressure = No Fuel & No Fuel = No Smoke!
How can I check the pressure from the HPOP? What kind of gauge & where do you connect it?
Is the Schrader valve before the filter? If so, should I check for fuel after the filter? If so, how & where?
I don’t know if this is an issue or not but… I think my GPR may be bad. I’ve got a constant 12v on one large post (black & orange wire). I’ve tried to check the other large post (Brown & yellow wires). There’s no voltage here. When I turn the key on the WTS light comes on for barely two seconds and switches off. This is when I should have voltage, right? I can also hear a relay click somewhere under the hood. It has been in the 90-degree range all week so I wouldn’t have thought that I would need glow plugs. However, I thought I read something about a bad GPR affecting the PCM & the PCM disabling injectors.
Well, at least I stuck in the driveway and not on the road!! Please help!