Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Clutch and linkage

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  dwest 
#1 ·
I have a 1995 ext cab 4x4 5sp. Clutch has very little travel
and is hard to get into gear. I check the clutch fluid and added until it ran over and it still does the same thing. Also when you engage the clutch you may have to depress it 2 or 3 times before it will let you start the engine.
Thanks for any help,
Dale

#2 ·
I dunno....but here is a little bumpage for you.

#3 ·
There is a plastic bushing on the clutch linkage inside the cab, its like a 3 or 4 dollar piece that usually goes bad, i havent had to replace mine in my truck yet but i know they are know to go out, im sure someone else knows something about it

#4 ·
yeah it is under the dash, by the throtle pedal, where the rod goes to the clutch master.
chances are that is your problem and if it is as bad as you say the whole joint could be shot. your best bet is to replace it with a Hiem joint. there is a company that sells kits on E-bay, i forget what they are called but i got one and it works really good.

#5 ·
You can also get an adjustable push rod from NAPA.

#6 ·
You could also see if your neutral safety switch is going bad, preventing start up with the pedal depressed. Just a thought. I have also changed the linkage over to the hiem joint. I hope to permanently fix the linkage problem by converting to an auto and getting a BTS. Now only to get the winning lottery numbers....

#8 ·
I bought my hiem joint (aka spherical rod end) from a local hardware store, i think lowes but it fixed the problem. can't remember the size or thread pitch though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.