Need help with farm truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007, 05:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help with farm truck

My diesel won't start. It started giving us trouble over a year ago when it was hard to crank. Figured at least one of the glow plugs was going bad. It started off getting harder and harder to crank when cold and then wouldn't crank at all. Had to let it set a while (no money for new plugs!). I bought a book that showed me how to change them out (learning to fix my own equipment). I changed out 4 glow plugs on the right side and put in a new fuel filter but still won't crank. The batteries are charged and the ignition turns over but it won't crank. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2007, 06:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Renee,
Whae you say wont crank, if your are talking about engine wont turn over. I would look at bad Ground, clean battery posts, Battery's with not enough cranking amps, bad starter sylonid or bad starter. I have a ford 7000 with a cat 3208 and if the battery's are not fully charged and in good shape it will not turn over either. hope this helps
Old 07-30-2007, 06:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the imput. We did clean off the battery cables. Although I haven't tested the batteries we did put them on the charger and they do [I]seem[Igood. I may take them to a battery shop and have them tested to be sure. My husband and I have argued about the term "crank" versus "turned over". I say it starts but will not turn over. The battery sounds strong when we try to crank it but it just never turns over and cranks. I think the starter is fine. Will it still try to crank if the sylonid is bad?
Old 07-30-2007, 06:56 AM
Infidel

Does the tach move? Have you replaced the CPS (Cam Position Sensor). When the CPS finally goes bad the truck will turn over but won't start. You can find the CPS for around 25.00, don't let a dealership try to stick you for 100.00 + or more. The CPS is located at the front of the engine on the passenger side of the block. It is by the harmonic balancer. It takes a 10mm socket to get it off if I recall correctly. Hope this helps, and I am sure others who have a greater knowledge will chime in with trouble shooting tips as well.
Craig

By the way......Welcome to the ORG
Old 07-30-2007, 07:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

How hard is the CPS to change. I have a 94 that won't start and that might be the reason. Never thought of that.:bonk:
Old 07-30-2007, 07:11 AM

O'Reilly's just quoted me $139.00 for a new one. yuck
Old 07-30-2007, 07:20 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

confused , is this truck spinning over or no, need to know that and also, before replacing any parts always run diagnosis before spending any money

Last edited by SCUFFY828; 07-30-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:30 AM

I agree with Scuffy. My truck became harder to start then finally woudn't start. I thought it was the batteries. Turned out to be the starter.

Could get costly to just start replacing thing.

And I found my "spare" CPS on ebay for $23 and free shipping.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is the cam position sensor the same as the cam sensor? If so we replaced it not too long before it started being hard to crank. It just plugged in up front. When it first started I figured it was the glow plugs because once I cranked the truck it would start any time that day but if I let it set overnight it acted slow to crank again. I just wonder what could be stopping it from starting now. It set for about 6 months because of no money and we had a back up vehicle but now that's changed.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:14 AM

I think they may be the same.
My truck would do the same thing. sit over night and it would turn over very slow. A colder engine takes more to turn over and pump all that cold oil.
I was thinking (with my truck) batteries, and then glow plugs.

Then I took my starter off and had it tested. found out that these engines have to spin fast enough to pump oil and start up. New starter and boy what a difference, I think the old one was going slowly for at least a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.