7.3PSD blowby pressure - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2007, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Superbossman
Unhappy 7.3PSD blowby pressure

Hey guys,
I have a 1996 F250 Supercab with a 7.3 Powerstroke, 180k, very very clean and in good shape and always runs great.
I had a hpop go bad on me the other day while we were camping.
When we went to leave it would not start and I quickly found that the snap ring had come out of the back of it and allowed the bearing to work its way out.

I had it towed back and ordered the replacement and installed it about a week later.
I started it up to check for leaks and that it was running ok then took it up the highway. It ran beter than it ever did before. But......
I was on my way back home and pulled up to a light on the highway and it began sounding funny and running very rough. I thought it was going to die on me. I limped it home as quick as I could. It was running rough and had little power.
I parked it and got out to check undeer the hood. There is now what seems like a lot of crankcase blow by pressure coming out of the oil cap and out of the PCV area into the intake. I am not sure if it was always like this or not, I don't think it was. It runs like crap now and I wondered if anyone had ever experienced this before or if you had any ideas?
I am thinking maybe a loose injector or a cracked piston but I am ctossing my fingers that one of you has a much less invasive solution than a cracked piston.
Anybody have a good used PSD for sale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Banned

lets back up...cause some crankcase pressure is ok....

any codes?? Are you sure you got the bolt for the HPOP gear tight?? is the oil level OK??
Old 07-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am not sure on the codes I don't have a reader yet.

I am fairly sure the bolt is tight but I am human and may not have. I would lean towards it is tight enough since I did torque it down well. It is easy enough to check so I could take a look.

This blow by just seemed excessive and I don't recall it being that much before?
Old 07-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

7.3PSD blowby pressure

I finally got out and checked this out.
I checked the HPOP oil tank and it was full.
I tested to see if the pressure from the blow at the oil cap would blow my hand off and it didn't even budge my hand.

I went looking then to the bad or loose injectors or orings.

I found the issue right away when I took the valve cover off.

The RR glow plug had come loose and tore the internal harness up and completely pulled the inner probe from the glowplug housing and beat up the inside of the valve cover a little.

New glow plugs and internal harness and she runs like new again.

Sounds like nobody ever heard of this one before since there were no replies and nobody mentioned it in any of the other "blowby" posts.

I sure am happy to know it was nothing too serious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.