'97 7.3 Still having problems after all new injectors! Help anyone? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'97 7.3 Still having problems after all new injectors! Help anyone?

Hi all, here's the link to my previous post...a bit long, thanks for your patience.

Help! 97' Problems! Shop replaced ALL injectors, still quitting!

Am now in a BAR(Bureau of Automotive Repair) dispute w/independent shop that installed injectors unnecessarily. Truck still didn't run after installation. BAR report has ruled in my favor so may get my $ back. BUT...had truck towed to local Ford dealer. They diagnose bad front and back sending units, which they describe as having mini fuel pumps in them? Front was at 55 psi, back at 10 psi. They replace sending units ($1700), I pick up truck. As soon as I put fuel in it, the front tank starts spilling fuel like crazy. Ford states that the locking ring was bad on front unit. Replaces. Pick up truck, load with horse feed (about 1000 lbs) truck quits 10 miles out, conks out, no power etc. We get it to restart but it is running really rough, searches for idle when started, revving unevenly. Return truck to dealer. THEY CANNOT FIND THE PROBLEM. No codes, nothing. The service dude even drove it home (30 miles) and back to shop. I pick up the truck, drive it for awhile, sure enough, starts running rough. When I start it, it acts like it doesn't want to turn over, then catches, revs twice (from 500-1000) then settles. It doesn't feel like I'm getting the proper power up the hills.

Want to mention that the independent shop had installed a new FASS fuel pump, fuel filter, and water separator back in September. Seems like the FASS pump is whining a bit louder than it was initially? Haven't been able to drive my truck in a month so maybe it's my imagination.

Sorry about the lack of correct terminology, I'm just a cowgirl trying to drive her truck. Don't know as much about them as I do horses. Really appreciate any help as I need a final (and correct !) diagnosis from the dealer to complete my lawsuit against the independent shop that didn't know what they were doing ($4300 for new injectors and the truck dies 1/2 mile from the shop!). Not sure the dealer knows what they are doing either!

Many thanks to you all simply for your time to read this lengthy post. Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
um we dont have sending units in the tank? we have a mechanical pump in the valley of the motor. It seems like its electronically as its a wildly varying issue. Lets start simple. Crank Position Sensor. If that doesnt help then maybe try to find a friend locally with an IDM or PCM you can borrow that will match your truck (IDM is any 7.3...PCM is any OBS thats your trans)
Old 02-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sounds like the idm i had the same problem with my 97 see my replie in your previous post. Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
injectors missing, running rough, truck lacks power

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.