HUGE OIL LEAK!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No longer a huge oil leak. Complete lack of power!

This is my first post and I looked everywhere for a similar condition and found nothing.
I have a 1995 f350 7.3L 5speed. Where do I begin....
I bought it last month at 203,000 miles and have done some pretty extensive/expensive work to it.
The place I bought it from was 340 miles away, so when I picked it up and drove it back, 1- it had no power. Couldn't here the turbo spool. 2- needed glow plugs and relay.

I trouble shot the lack of power to being a plugged cat, so I removed it. After that I had power, but i noticed oil in the compressor side of the turbo. Just to be sure it was normal, I removed the downpipe again and there was a crap ton of oil. Removed the turbo and there was no oil in the up pipes, so I concluded that the oil seal had blown on the exhaust side; ordered a new turbo. Decided to do a bunch of maintenance to it while I was in there. All new o-rings and gaskets in the fuel system. Redid the dipstick to pan connection (a little leaky), replaced glow plugs and GPR, removed and installed new injector o-rings (every middle o-ring was SHOT), new cam sensor, rebuild the tranny, fix the broken aluminum dog ear connector on the transfer case shifter, lots of wiring fixes...

So, I get it all back together tonight (its 5:30am right now, pulled an all niter). Prime HPOP... all that crap. Fire it up, and it cranks for about 5 seconds each time before it fires, and looked for leaks. Nothing noticeable in the garage. Take it on a drive. It smoked like crazy, but that was expected. I now have power, a little rough at idle, but the problem is I have a MASSIVE oil leak. 2 quarts in 5 miles. I get to looking and the only place I visibly see oil is dripping from the downpipe marmon connection!?!?! Its tight, the pedestal o-rings aren't leaking. EBPV gutted and solenoid block off and plugged (not visibly leaking). No leaks from HPOP lines or drain plug or fuel system. HPOP reservoir is full.

I'm stumped. Anyone have any ideas...

Last edited by MidnightSunGarage; 02-18-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So is the oil leak worse than before or about the same. Their is a plug on the front of the heads that takes a half inch drive breakover. That plug has a o ring. It directly ties to your oil gallies in the heads. If these leak they can leak massively. Check the back of your heads for the plugs as well. You don't see any oil coming from the v of the engine and running down the back of the block do you? Start it put it in park set the brake and crawl under it and see where it is dripping from. A mirror and a flash light will let you see in some tight places. Appologies if I am telling you something you already know. Having taught Diesel technology for 12 years and 15 years in the field its a hard habit to break. hope this helps. curious to here what you find.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

I figured out the leak!

It was coming from a botched attempt at a CCV mod. I ended up putting a valve cover breather on the end and it was over pressurizing the crank case. Took the filter off and no more oil leak. Sorry I didn't mention the CCV mod. The only reason I found it was from searching the internet for a good whole day until I ran across a post somewhere that said something along the lines of "7.3L oil fountain".

Next problem is lack of power , which I had before but figured it was a bad turbo after seeing the impeller damage. Its weird. In neutral, if I rev it up, I can get to about 2200-2300 rpm and it hesitates and bogs, all the while I can hear the turbo pulsating. Then out of nowhere, it screams up to red line (once it boosts). Its noticed in 1st gear mainly, a little in 2nd, third seems to pull through fine, then it feels really dogish in 4th. In 5th the only way I can maintain any speed is if I hit the throttle just enough to here the turbo spool. I get almost no acceleration out of 5th. Oh yea, and the motor vibrates really bad in 4th and 5th and only under power.

I have bought a new fuel pump and will be installing it in a few days, whenever my shop is empty, and we'll see what happens. The whole fuel system is new/rebuilt/cleaned, with the exception of the fuel pump.

It starts up real quick, idle seems to be fairly rough but that's what I've been told about the mechanical fuel pumped 7.3L.

She also smokes pretty good (blueish) at idle, but I'm attributing that right now to the oil I'm running. Valvoline full synthetic diesel 5w-40. Did I mention that I live in remote Alaska and this week I've been driving this thing when its -52F. I used to run this oil in a 2006 6.0L I had for a while and it seemed to love it, but with 206,000+ miles on the ticker, maybe she needs some thicker lube. That one will have to wait until it warms up considerably (May).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.